• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult Adoption in Missouri

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abelard

What is the name of your state? Missouri
Slightly off-beat and wierd question, but here goes...
I am a middle aged, married woman. My husband and I are considering retiring in Europe. We would find it much easier to do if one of us had an EU country's citizenship. Since both of us are American "mutts", we don't have direct enough blood lines in any country to apply.
My aunt by marriage was born in England and retains both her British and American citizenship. She also lives in the state of Missouri.
Is it possible for her to adopt me as an adult in Missouri if my reason for being adopted is to be able to acquire a dual British citizenship?

nextwife

Well, I'm an adoptive parent of a foriegn born child - and in most countries, adoption does NOT create an automatic citizenship for the adoptive child. Only since 2000 (under the Adopted Child Citizenship Act of 2000), has a portion of the children adopted into the US by citizen parents been made automatic citizens. And even that does not apply to all internationally adopted kids, nor to those adopted over age 18.

But as this site ONLY deals with US law, I have no idea what an adoption does in regards to citizenship in countries besides the US

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">