• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trees on property lines?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

keniz138

What is the name of your state?
Rhode Island

Would my HO Ins. cover a neighbor's loss if part or all of a tree that was on my property fell on his shed or house? Or would this be covered by his policy?

tammy8

Usually his insurance would cover the damages UNLESS the tree was decayed or dying which your policy cover due to your negectance to remove the tree.

keniz138

BelizeBreeze said:
.......................or?
have i mentioned how helpful you are? it is a rather good master yoda posturing though, i must say. :cool:

thank you tammy for at least some semblance of an answer.

panzertanker

keniz138 said:
have i mentioned how helpful you are? it is a rather good master yoda posturing though, i must say. :cool:

thank you tammy for at least some semblance of an answer.
Remove the decaying trees you must.
Tree that is decayed of yours that falls, homeowners policy of yours will cover
Healthy tree that falls of yours, policy of theirs should cover.
Policy of theirs that covers tree of yours, their insurance, after you they may come....
~yoda

rmet4nzkx

In addition, if you know the tree is compromised and fail to correct it, your HO insurance might not cover it and you would be liable if it fell.
Since you have this question, why don't you have a tree surgeon or arborist out to inspect the tree, because not only are above the ground decay and rot a problem, but healthy trees may fall because of preventable below the ground compromise such as shallow root systems and unpruned above the ground trees, especially a problem following unusual water saturation or flooding. Sometimes your HO may pay for preventive measures if they follow a storm, but if not, proper tree maintenance may cost far less than knowing of the compromise and being held liable at a later date. If the tree must be removed and has value someone may come and remove it. Also check with your planning department insofar as local tree maintence requirements.

claimlaw

The answer:

Your neighbor's insurer pays.

Unless your neighbor provided you constructive notice that the tree was compromised Or, it was so compromised that a normal reasonable person should have determined that a failure was emminent AND that it would fall on your neighbors house, the neighbor pays.

Even with these circumstances, it is up to the neighbor's insurer to pursue the matter with you through subrogation.

Your insurer limits fallen trees to $500 or $1000 for the clean up of the tree only. If it fell on a fence that was owned by you, the fence would be covered up to the limits of coverage on your Coverage B. [Appurtenant Structure] which is generally 10% of Coverage A.[The principal structure].

There is an additional coverage for Debris Removal Expense that would kick in should it fall on your fence in excess of the aforementioned limits.

Claimlaw

BelizeBreeze

claimlaw said:
The answer:

Your neighbor's insurer pays.

Unless your neighbor provided you constructive notice that the tree was compromised Or, it was so compromised that a normal reasonable person should have determined that a failure was emminent AND that it would fall on your neighbors house, the neighbor pays.

Even with these circumstances, it is up to the neighbor's insurer to pursue the matter with you through subrogation.

Your insurer limits fallen trees to $500 or $1000 for the clean up of the tree only. If it fell on a fence that was owned by you, the fence would be covered up to the limits of coverage on your Coverage B. [Appurtenant Structure] which is generally 10% of Coverage A.[The principal structure].

There is an additional coverage for Debris Removal Expense that would kick in should it fall on your fence in excess of the aforementioned limits.

Claimlaw
And on what do you base this crap ?

BelizeBreeze

claimlaw said:
It would be well over your head. Don't trouble yourself with it.

We all thank you for you trying.

Claimlaw
Well first of all numnuts NO ONE except a responder mentioned anything about decaying trees. It was not a part of the original post and therefore, like lemmings to the sea, only the ignorant jumped on that bandwagon.

THEN, you come along and compound the ignorance by stating FACT based on absolutely no foundation.

The fact is there is a tree on the property line.

That is the ONLY fact. And based on this one and ONLY fact you come alone and state for a legal certainty that the poster has no responsibility for any even in which the tree may fall into the neighbor's yard.

In fact, you have the balls to tell this poster HOW MUCH his insurance will cover. Now the amazing fact is, there has been ABSOLUTELY NO MENTION of what insurance coverage either the poster OR his/her neighbor has, IF they have insurance at all or any discussion as to which circumstances, even with a healthy tree, that would require either or both insurance policies to pay and to what degree.

So, where did you purchase your crystal ball. :rolleyes:

rmet4nzkx

I gave my response based on what little OP posted here and different possibilities. I also knew there had been flooding recently and OP on another thread spoke of flooding in his yard, these circumstances could cause a healthy tree to fall, so an inspection in is order so as to limit liability. Common sense :rolleyes: for what's it's worth.

BelizeBreeze

rmet4nzkx said:
I gave my response based on what little OP posted here and different possibilities. I also knew there had been flooding recently and OP on another thread spoke of flooding in his yard, these circumstances could cause a healthy tree to fall, so an inspection in is order so as to limit liability. Common sense :rolleyes: for what's it's worth.
Then you have been here long enough to know that no one is going to chase this person around the forum trying to assertain the 'facts' and should have posted a link to his OTHER post.

I stand by my answer. There can be no definative answer like this idiot posted until such time as the poster comes back HERE and states under what conditions he asked the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">