• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no coverage for groundwater?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keniz138

What is the name of your state?
Rhode Island

In recent deluge, a small uncovered hatchway at the back of our house floooded and water was allowed to pass through the gap between the frame and the door (weight and wind too much for weather stripping). Anyway, my HO policy is now denying me coverage b/c they say i am not covered for any time of rain/runoff/groundwater that seeps into the house. I am arguing that it did not seep into the house (in that sense), but rather it was a pinpointable event where something malfunctioned....do I have a leg to stand on?

Also, my insurance agent is telling me that there is NO coverage available inthe state of RI for this type of loss, is this correct?

tammy8

Sorry but it sounds like a flood claim and flood is rising water of any kind. Water damage is water that comes through the ceiling.

claimlaw

It is. Try NFIP; National Flood Insurance Program. Generally most don't consider it until prompted by a mortgagee.

If your community is flood prone it likely has a FIRM; Flood Insurance Rate Map. Start there to determine your zone.

Claimlaw

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">