• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSD Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DebbyG

SSD Benefits for dependent children

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I am going through a divorce which will be final on May 9, 2005. My husband has filed for SSD. His social security statement says his benefits will be approx. $1,600 per month. Since he has no other income that leaves me with no promise of child support for our 14 year old daughter. Our divorce mediator told me that once the the benefits went through, my daughter would receive benefits each month and they would go to me as the custodial parent. Is there something I should be doing to make sure my daughter receives benefits as well? No one has contacted me or sent any information. I know the benefits to him may take a while to be processed but in the mean time is there any way for me to find out her benefit amount before they come. I know he started all of this in September of 2004, and from what I understand the first 6 mos or so are a waiting period. Is that correct? Also, at what age would dependant benefits end, does it depend on whether or not a child is a full time college student or just when they turn 18? I have tried to browse the internet and find the answers to my questions but it is not very black and white.

Thanks!

Last edited:

BL

DebbyG said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

I am going through a divorce which will be final on May 9, 2005. My husband has filed for SSD. His social security statement says his benefits will be approx. $1,600 per month. Since he has no other income that leaves me with no promise of child support for our 14 year old daughter. Our divorce mediator told me that once the the benefits went through, my daughter would receive benefits each month and they would go to me as the custodial parent. Is there something I should be doing to make sure my daughter receives benefits as well? No one has contacted me or sent any information. I know the benefits to him may take a while to be processed but in the mean time is there any way for me to find out her benefit amount before they come. I know he started all of this in September of 2004, and from what I understand the first 6 mos or so are a waiting period. Is that correct? Also, at what age would dependant benefits end, does it depend on whether or not a child is a full time college student or just when they turn 18? I have tried to browse the internet and find the answers to my questions but it is not very black and white.

Thanks!
Give the folks at SSA 800# a call . Have his SS# and advise them the children's father has applied , or been approved for Disability Benefits , and tell them you want to make sure the children were listed on the records so to receive benefits .

The reasons of termination of those benefits would be , If the child is emancipated , or over 18 , I believe , but you can also ask SSA when you call.

Last edited:

DebbyG

Thanks!

Thanks so much for your reply. I did call the 800#. Supposedly my husbands advocate filed his paperwork on Friday and her claim is to be saving him 6-8 mos. so we shall see. They told me that I should call daily until the info hits the system so they can make sure my daughter was added to the application. They also told me to make sure and provide the divorce decree after it becomes final on May 9th. Is there any way to estimate what her benefits would be knowing his statement shows his benefit to be around $1,600 per month? I didn't bother asking about the age of termination of benefits as anything will be helpful to me at this point. I appreciate your time and thought I should post what I found out in case there is anyone reading my post with a similar situation. Maybe their questions will be answered as well!

BL

DebbyG said:
Thanks so much for your reply. I did call the 800#. Supposedly my husbands advocate filed his paperwork on Friday and her claim is to be saving him 6-8 mos. so we shall see. They told me that I should call daily until the info hits the system so they can make sure my daughter was added to the application. They also told me to make sure and provide the divorce decree after it becomes final on May 9th. Is there any way to estimate what her benefits would be knowing his statement shows his benefit to be around $1,600 per month? I didn't bother asking about the age of termination of benefits as anything will be helpful to me at this point. I appreciate your time and thought I should post what I found out in case there is anyone reading my post with a similar situation. Maybe their questions will be answered as well!
I personally do not know how SSA calculates child(ren)'s benefits.

I do know of a case that the recipient received around $600.00 per month. The Parent with (3) children getting under $75.00 each .

bjl1105

DebbyG said:
Dependents benefits (life cases) are 50 % of the wage earners amount (assuming there is only one dependent). There is a family maximum payable when there is more than one dependent. In this case, your child would receive $800. per month if there were no other children. Assuming your husband listed your child on his claim, SSA would be contacting you if and when his claim is approved. Your child's benefit does not affect his benefit.

tigger22472

Just to clarify and expand a little.. this is how it is.. as stated dependents get half of the total of the receiver.. so if he's getting 1600$ then 800$ is half. If there is only this one child then that child will receive 800$ unless YOU apply also if your income is low(has to be under 11,000 a year) .. however... that doesn't mean there's more money.. it's still 800$ but it would be divided by half. Also if there are any other children it would be divided but the total amount stays the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">