• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land/easement issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

parrotmom

What is the name of your state? Florida

My husband and I bought this property a year ago. We have 1.61 acres and a portion of that is driveway. My neighbors next door are totally land locked. No other way in or out besides my property/driveway. No documents or word agreements about easements or ingress/egress.
We are having the house refinanced and it was suggested to us once seeing our survey...to go to another neighbor (that does not use our property) and ask him to move his fence that was 15ft on our property. We did and he stated no problem, he knew it was over anyway. In the process of him doing his fence one day, was talking to our land locked neighbors...for days after that we were getting the cold shoulder. So my husband went and spoke to them, they stated they weren't going to do this and that and you can't land lock us, blah blah blah..we had no issues with them untill now, it all started with the moving of the fence. My question is.....how do I go about resolving this?? Do I go and get it in legal documents that they can drive in and out of their home from our property? They are going as far as not letting our kids play together. They told us.."We didn't know what your intentions were"..we've lived here a year and never had any intentions for them or their property. I'm very upset and don't really know what to do. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Shel77

so the land locked neighbors currently use your deiveway to access their property? And what exactly is your proplem. What question do you have?
Also the neighbor that said "they weren't going to do this" is that the people with the fence that must be moved or the landlocked ones? I wouldn't give them an easment, that's just me though. You can still allow the to use your driveway if you want. Has the fence been moved or are they not going to move it now?

parrotmom

Yes, the land locked neighbors currently use my property to gain access to theirs.
When they finally realized that we owned the property, they started telling us stuff like, "We're NOT going to move the dumpster (which is on our property), we're not going to help take care of it, and you can't land lock us" We never NEVER had ANY intentions for the dumpster to be moved, or to land lock them. They are "assuming" we were going to do all that.
They don't own the property with the fence, but the man that does is moving it and has almost completed it. I apologize for my post being confusing, I'm just so upset about the way we're being treated for NO reason. I guess I just wanted to know if me giving them an easement to their property had to be a legal one...having it documented with our county. Thanks!

Shel77

As far as I know to give them a legal easment you would need to go down and file it. But there is no reason you should have to nor need to do that you can just contunie to allow them to use your driveway, I am certain that if you grant them a legal easment then when they sell the land that easment would remain the same and you may not like the new owners. It's a good idea to just leave it alone and tell them you will contunie to allow the access.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">