• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tool theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

renee speener

What is the name of your state?
Wisconsin
My question is,if someone falsely accuses you of theft knowing you didn't steal anything and you have proof of it, can you press charges against them for wrongfully accusing you. Also can you sue them for the money you have to invest to have the charges dropped,ie. the attorney fees and loss of wages. Thank you for answering my question. Renee

CdwJava

renee speener said:
What is the name of your state?
Wisconsin
My question is,if someone falsely accuses you of theft knowing you didn't steal anything and you have proof of it, can you press charges against them for wrongfully accusing you. Also can you sue them for the money you have to invest to have the charges dropped,ie. the attorney fees and loss of wages. Thank you for answering my question. Renee
What kind of evidence do you have that PROVES they knowingly and falsely accused you of theft with full knowledge that the accusations were false?

Short of a taped statement saying, "I know you didn't do it, but I'm calling the police to say you did it anyway," I don't know of too many ways to PROVE this.

You can speak to the DA about pressing charges for a false police report AFTER you beat the theft charges if they are pursued. However, generally your only chance of success will be to file a civil action against the person making the false allegations - the burden of proof tends to be lower, and the threshold to prove a criminal case is pretty high.

Consult local counsel.

- Carl

ptlmejo

Just to add to that, you can sue someone for anything you like.

Getting a judge or jury to concur with you is another matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">