• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cashier's behavior is unacceptable (discriminatory?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nurseatalltimes

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ

I want to take the employer/grocery chain to court due to the behavior of their employee. I took the pains of talking to the store manager and corporate customer service manager. I am a professional woman (RN) who owns a business and they seem to think that $10 gift certificate will make me happy. Darn, I returned it. Here are my issues followed by what happened.

*They tolerated (and therefore accepted) biased/discriminatory behavior of their employee. She did not think I can speak/understand English. What an SOB.

*I suffered anguish, severe embarrassment (crap, I own a business and get treated like "S"), and I am not kidding...spent a lot of time getting in touch with the managers (calls, letters, faxed).

I am really mad about this situation and I had contacted the corporate office of a major grocery store. About 3 weeks ago, I shopped at this store, after by morning exercise. Yes, I was dressed properly/appropriately. The cashier was very rude and insulted me (asking the next cashier several times, in a loud voice, if there was something wrong with her hand. The 3rd time she asked, I realized she was referring to me, because I did not bag my own groceries. I think she did not think I speak English as a lot of shoppers in that particular store (near the exercise place I go to) are minorities. I asked her if she just asked her co-worker 3 x if there was anything wrong w/ her hand. NOw, she knew I speak fluent English. I asked her if she was referrring to me and she was mad because I did not bag my groceries. She annoying/madly said, "yeah, because the way you gave me the mone". Mind you, she asked her co-worker before I gave her the money. She was upset that I did not bag the my groceries. The bags are located right behind her, so if I have to bag them, I have to go around the conveyor. Honestly, I was not sure if the shoppers were allowed to bag because of the location of the bags.

My face was as red as beets, my BP was probably off the mercury limit and felt like climbing up the conveyor and show her that even if I am 1/3 of her size, I can show her what I can do. I called the manager and spoke to him on the side. When I got home, I called the store manager again because I was still fuming of the insult. I asked him to make sure that something is done appropriate to this individual's behaviour.He told me that he called her on the side and told her that what she did was inapproriate! I called the corporate office/customer service manager. I sent her a letter and requested to know the specific actions they are to do to rectify that embarassing situation. Can you imagine what this person did to non-English speaking and elderly people?

Anyway, I got a letter 3 weeks after my letter. It said that the manager instituted disciplinary action...my foot he did! Taking her to the side is not disciplinary to me and nothing in comparison to the fury I felt that day.

ANd, on top of this, the corporate office sent me a $10 gift certificate for my inconveniene. Now, that did it. I pay my starting employee $15/hour. I returned it and told her to stop adding insult to injury. I asked for speficic actions that they did or plan to do to discipline the individual and I got $10 in return. I swear I will mail them $10 myself and stick it up somewhere.

Am I overreacting or am I reasonable in getting so mad at this company's treatment??
:mad: :mad: :mad:
So, what do you think? I just want to take them to court to prove my point, more than anything else. How dare they treat me like that.

Thanks...

Some Random Guy

So a store you frequent is rude to you. Shop somewhere else. The store owes you nothing more.

If necessary, go to the store and ask for the $10 cash value of the gift card, letting them know that you have no intention of shopping there again.

Or, if its the only store in town, suck it up and continue to go there. If the cashier is rude to you again, just say "sorry, I don't do business with people who insult me" keep your money and walk out of the store leaving the food behind. You will probably get banned from the store from this, but at least you can piss them off.

enjay

I agree with Random Guy. Choose to take your business elsewhere. The store is in no way required to tell you how or if they disciplined their employee.

panzertanker

Nurseatalltimes said:
Am I overreacting or am I reasonable in getting so mad at this company's treatment??
:mad: :mad: :mad:
So, what do you think? I just want to take them to court to prove my point, more than anything else. How dare they treat me like that.

Thanks...
Yes you are overreacting.
They offerred what amounts to a huge apology from a major corporation.
You have every right to file a lawsuit against them; however, I sincerely doubt you will get it into court.

Grow thicker skin, people can be as rude as they want to. There was no discrimination in your interaction with this cashier, just a rude person who needs an attitude adjustment...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">