• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Our Tree, their tree problem?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Texas

If this is not the correct forum, please let me know..

We have lived in this home for over five years, and our neighbor for most of that time moved last year. We have new neighbors now.
We have a tree that is on our lot, that is HUGE, and half of it is hanging over on their side of the lot, and is hanging over their house. Our previous neighbor always trimmed it himself(or hired someone.. who knows) and when our new neighbors moved in they hired someone to trim the limbs away from their roof(sp?). He is now at our door asking us to pay for it from now on, and asked their landscaper to give us a deal. My understanding of Texas state laws is that whatever part of the tree is on their side is their responsibility.. but I don't know for sure. We don't have a problem taking care of it if it's our responsibility, but if it's not --- we could afford to save the money and let them take care of it. My question is, is it their job to pay to cut the tree limbs over their house, or is it ours based on texas law? Thanks!

BelizeBreeze

Tell him thanks but no thanks. You are responsible for the tree up to a vertical line running from the property line to the heavens. HE is responsible for everything that hands, falls or grows on his side.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">