• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JAGM

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.

My wife and I live in a condo purchased for her by her parents while she was attending college, we have both live in this condo for 10+ years. To make a long story short, the property was signed over to the mother during a divorce, during the divorce process, the condo was up for forclosure, my wife gave her mother $18,000.00 to stop the forclosure and we assumed the mortgage payments to the mortgage company direct. The mother has refinaced the property twice in excess of $70,000.00. She has since resumed paying the mortgage company direct, and my wife and I pay her rent without contract, mother now wants to sell the property and give my wife back the $18,000.00. Do we have any legal interest in the property besides the $18,000.00?

BelizeBreeze

JAGM said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.

My wife and I live in a condo purchased for her by her parents while she was attending college, we have both live in this condo for 10+ years. To make a long story short, the property was signed over to the mother during a divorce, during the divorce process, the condo was up for forclosure, my wife gave her mother $18,000.00 to stop the forclosure and we assumed the mortgage payments to the mortgage company direct. The mother has refinaced the property twice in excess of $70,000.00. She has since resumed paying the mortgage company direct, and my wife and I pay her rent without contract, mother now wants to sell the property and give my wife back the $18,000.00. Do we have any legal interest in the property besides the $18,000.00?
Nope. You sold it. it's a done deal.

Shel77

Your lucky she is offering the 18k back since from the Op it seems as though it may have been past due prior to the actual hand over. Belize is as always right, you sold it and selling it has anything to do with you.

JAGM

I believe I was misunderstood, the property was never ours, it belonged to my father in law and mother in law, my father in law signed the property over during their divorce, my wife never had to pay her father, I did. After the divorce, the property was up for forclosure, My wife and I assumed the mortagage payment after the $18,000.00 payment to keep the property from forclosure. We paid the mortgage co. for over two years directly. Would we have any legal interest in the property?,as she (mother in law) now wants to sell, my wife and I have given her an offer, but she has refused, stating she could get more money elsewhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">