• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lake access easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srv_827

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I purchased my home about 2 years ago. The property was advertised as having "lake front access" via an easement. A few times a week, I like to go down and put my boat in the water to do some fishing. I never had any problem with using the easement until a different family bought the property that the easement is on. The new homeowner informed me that while she had to (grudgingly) let me have access to the lake, I could not under any circumstances leave my truck and trailer on the easement. I politely asked her what the issue was, and she said that she didn't want to look at a "parking lot" while she was in her yard.

Do I have to move my vehicle off the easement while my boat is in the water? It isn't bothering anyone but her. It wouldn't even be an issue if she had tried to talk first istead of making demands. I would have been more than agreeable to try and find a workable solution.

Thanks for the time.

srv_827

Thanks. I am trying to find a copy, but it isn't in any of my paperwork. I tried my township hall, and the register of deeds, but they didn't have anything. I'm going to call the title company tomorrow and see if any of my neighbors have anything.

When I do get the required information, what should I be looking for, or will it be obvious?

Thanks again

Some Random Guy

When you were told it was lakefront access via an easement, was that ever put in writing?

Because if the easement isn't recorded, there is no easement. And your neighbor may discover this and deny you access to their property altogether.

Check neighboring parcels. It may be that you don't have a direct easement to the water, but have an easement across another property some distnce down the road.

CZLarry

Subdivision Platt

You may have to go back to the orginal Platting & CCR's to find info on the easement(s). Mine are back in the mid 20's. Another option would be to go to the Real Estate That listed the property and have them help you verify "Lake Access/Easement" as advertised

nextwife

Also "Lake Access" does NOT necessarilly mean vehicular access or the right to park a vehicle. I am aware of parties with Lake access via easements (we have lots of small lakes around here) who have the right to pass across to go swimming, or to carry a kayak or canoe to the shore. but Lake Access does not automatically mean motorized vehicle access. You do need to review your easement language.

S

seniorjudge

srv_827 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I purchased my home about 2 years ago. The property was advertised as having "lake front access" via an easement. A few times a week, I like to go down and put my boat in the water to do some fishing. I never had any problem with using the easement until a different family bought the property that the easement is on. The new homeowner informed me that while she had to (grudgingly) let me have access to the lake, I could not under any circumstances leave my truck and trailer on the easement. I politely asked her what the issue was, and she said that she didn't want to look at a "parking lot" while she was in her yard.

Do I have to move my vehicle off the easement while my boat is in the water? It isn't bothering anyone but her. It wouldn't even be an issue if she had tried to talk first istead of making demands. I would have been more than agreeable to try and find a workable solution.

Thanks for the time.

"Lake front access" may not mean you can park there. It sounds like real estate agent jargon to me.

Q: I tried my township hall, and the register of deeds, but they didn't have anything.

A: Are you saying that you went to where the land deed records are recorded and they did not have a copy of your deed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">