• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rape ivtestigation after unrelated death of victim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeffeulogy

What is the name of your state? PA

a female friend of mine was raped about a year ago. i'm not sure on all the details, it's very convoluted and i've heard multiple versions of the events. all i'm sure on is that there were multiple known suspects and an investigation was still on-going.

she recently passed away from meningitis. typically, what would happen in a situation like this? would the case be closed? have the parties responsible now gotten away with this?

Last edited:

jeffeulogy

i'm just wondering what standard practice is as far as investigating after a victim has died.

her death was completely unrelated.

rmet4nzkx

Since they had not done anything prior to her death, unless someone is persuing it on her behalf, it may drop as other higher priority cases come along, if she was competent to complain. But if say perhaps, the rape included beating and skull fracture with injury to the dura, her death could be related to the rape and the perp could be arrested and tried for murder or manslaughter.

BelizeBreeze

jeffeulogy said:
i'm just wondering what standard practice is as far as investigating after a victim has died.

her death was completely unrelated.
Without a complaining witness, there is not case.

CdwJava

jeffeulogy said:
What is the name of your state? PA

a female friend of mine was raped about a year ago. i'm not sure on all the details, it's very convoluted and i've heard multiple versions of the events. all i'm sure on is that there were multiple known suspects and an investigation was still on-going.

she recently passed away from meningitis. typically, what would happen in a situation like this? would the case be closed? have the parties responsible now gotten away with this?
If they were not able to make a case over the last year while she was still alive, then her passing will make it next to impossible to make a case.

Sorry, but unless there are confessions or other concrete evidence in here (in which case there would have likely been a prosecution earlier) then it's probably done.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">