• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Zoning Ordinance Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CZLarry

What is the name of your state? southeastern Michigan

The Problem:
I rec'd a letter from the NEW Zoning Officer informing me that I was in violation of local Ordinance #156 Sec:10-4(8) "collecting, accumulating, old automobiles" and had 20 days to remove the mercedes from premises. I tried calling and had to leave a msg, on the part-time Officers, voice mail stating that I had a Historical Plate for the vehicle and that I was going to try to sell the vehicle, and if there was still a problem to contact me. There was no contact with me and instead two months later, I Rec'd a ticket in the mail "2nd Violation $250.00" for Zoning violation "Storing Junk, Old Automobiles for Salvage". After calling the TWSP Supervisor, the part-timer was never in, I rec'd a call from the Officer Informing me that the only alternative I had was to get rid of the mercedes, and that now I would also have to get rid of ALL my vehicles and that "he might let me keep just ONE!!" I told him that was unacceptable and that I had the right to keep a vehicle I owned on my property. I now have rec'd a "Notice to Appear" from the local court, and another ticket in the mail, "collection & Storage of Junk Automobiles (unlicensed).

I do not feel I am above the law!!!, but I don't feel I am in the wrong in this case. (of course)
I work on cars as a hobby as time permits. I could understand if my neighbors complained or that I was parting cars out and/or working on other's vehicles for profit, but this is not the case. These are vehicles I own, AND they are undamaged and are in a complete condition IE; not missing Doors, Hood, Fenders, etc. They were not in an accident. They just need a little TLC. They are Stored outside because I do not have a garage/outbuildings.

HELP!!!!
DO I have any Legal Grounds to fight this??
Do I Have to have a current license plate if I'm not driving them??
I have not been able to find any ordinance/Law that requires Plates unless driven on public Streets/Roads.

Ordinance References:

Sec. 10-4. Prohibited acts.

The following acts are expressly prohibited on the part of any person:
(8) Collecting, accumulating, processing or storing junk, used machines, old automobiles or materials for salvage, unless such use is permitted under chapter 19.

Sec. 19-2. Definitions.

Junk shall mean any motor vehicles, machinery, appliances, product or merchandise with parts missing or scrap metals or other scrap materials that are damaged, deteriorated, or are in a condition which cannot be used for the purpose for which the product was manufactured.

Sec. 19-82. Outdoor storage in residential and nonresidential districts.
The outdoor storage or parking of recreational vehicles, such as an airplane, antique or racing automobile, boat, float, raft, trailer, camping or travel trailer, motorized home, demountable travel equipment of the type adaptable to light duty trucks or other equipment or vehicles of similar nature, and certain types of motorized vehicles as specified below or commercial vehicles, such as trucks and/or tractor trailers, shall be regulated as follows:
(1) For a period greater than 48 hours in any two-week period in all residential districts, except where expressly permitted by other provisions of this chapter or other ordinances, the above outside storage shall be prohibited, unless the following minimum conditions are met:
a. All such vehicles or equipment shall be placed within a completely enclosed building or located behind the front face of the principal building, but not closer than three feet to any side or rear lot line.
b. Nonenclosed storage or parking shall be limited to a lot or parcel of land upon which is located an inhabited dwelling unit and the vehicle or equipment is owned by the occupant.
c. Travel trailers and other vehicles......

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">