• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

an employee is being interviewed by the police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boss1

What is the name of your state? Michigan

An employee is being interviewed by the police, regarding criminal conduct. The investigating officer asked said employee to come to the station for further questioning. Is there any statute that says I *must* give the employee the time off, or can I tell him to schedule the interview at a time that does not interfere with his work schedule?

1. Employee does not have vacation and/or sick leave due.
2. Can I be charged with hampering an investigation, or some such, if I don't comply with the officer's request that the employee be released?
3. The employee disclosed the situation to me, and I told the employee to seek legal counsel.
4. Should I just wash my hands of the whole thing and not involve myself at all?

S

seniorjudge

boss1 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

An employee is being interviewed by the police, regarding criminal conduct. The investigating officer asked said employee to come to the station for further questioning. Is there any statute that says I *must* give the employee the time off, or can I tell him to schedule the interview at a time that does not interfere with his work schedule?

1. Employee does not have vacation and/or sick leave due.
2. Can I be charged with hampering an investigation, or some such, if I don't comply with the officer's request that the employee be released?
3. The employee disclosed the situation to me, and I told the employee to seek legal counsel.
4. Should I just wash my hands of the whole thing and not involve myself at all?

Tell the employee to handle his criminal affairs on his own time and you stay out of it.

Q: Is there any statute that says I *must* give the employee the time off, or can I tell him to schedule the interview at a time that does not interfere with his work schedule?

A: No.

Q: Employee does not have vacation and/or sick leave due. Can I be charged with hampering an investigation, or some such, if I don't comply with the officer's request that the employee be released?

A: No.

Q: The employee disclosed the situation to me, and I told the employee to seek legal counsel. Should I just wash my hands of the whole thing and not involve myself at all?

A: Yes.

CdwJava

boss1 said:
It's the employee's issue. You can either grant him the time or not. Unless you are somehow involved in the case and it can be inferred that you are intentionally obstructing the investigation, I can't see that you can be held responsible for not permitting him time off to speak to the police.

But, perhaps he can go down on his lunch hour.

- Carl

boss1

Thank you.

Thank you, seniorjudge and Cdwjava. Appreciate the opinions. Will act accordingly. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">