• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protesting in front of a store

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chrysler

What is the name of your state?NJ
I bought a used car from a dealer .He told me everything was in working order. A minute after I left the dealership the car had a problem. I decided to hand out flyers in front of the store saying that the dealer wasnt honest. He called the police and they told me that it might be disturbing the peace. I told them that I had a first ammendment right to do it. They threatened me not to come back. Who Is right?

You say the dealer told you everything was in working order right? Did you get the car inspected by a certified mechanic before purchasing the car? If you went off of his word and did not get the car inspected and the car was as is then I suggest you look up caveat emptor.

In reguards about the police stating that they can cite you for disturbing the peace.....maybe and they can also cite you for tresspassing (if you were asked to leave and you ignored them) if you were on the dealerships grounds.

chrysler

jpritchett81 said:
You say the dealer told you everything was in working order right? Did you get the car inspected by a certified mechanic before purchasing the car? If you went off of his word and did not get the car inspected and the car was as is then I suggest you look up caveat emptor.

In reguards about the police stating that they can cite you for disturbing the peace.....maybe and they can also cite you for tresspassing (if you were asked to leave and you ignored them) if you were on the dealerships grounds.
Thank you for your reply. I wasnt standing on their property. I was standing on the sidewalk.Do you know the source in writing that i can show the police? I live in New Jersey.

By the way I am not saying that the dealer is legally wrong. I don't know. What I do know is that he told me it was in working order and it wasn't.

chrysler

Now I remember that the cop tried another threat, that he would arrest me for harassment. What is the difference between harassment or stalking, and a legal protest?

Happy Trails

Answer these questions.

Did you have the car inspected by a certified mechanic?
Did you get a warranty from the car dealer?
Did you Google "caveat emptor"?

BelizeBreeze

Because of your own lack of intelligence in purchasing such a high ticket item without the least bit of due diligence, you now want to blame everyone except the ONLY party responsible for your problems---YOU.

The police are correct. While you may not be tresspassing, in most cities you must obtain a permit to hold a demonstration on city property.

The dealership can also have you charged with harrassment or file a civil case against you for intentional tort.

If you go through life blaming everyone else for your lack of diligence, you will have a very tough life.

"If you go through life blaming everyone else for your lack of diligence, you will have a very tough life."

Or you will end up being a self righteous, ego balooning, overly critical blowhard/tool which has been demonstrated here countless times again and again.

chrysler

Why the attitude. The dealer told me that the car had no problems. It did have a problem that the dealer knew about. What is wrong with handing out flyers saying not to trust the guy?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">