• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underground Oil Tank

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dragonfly1845

My fiance and I just closed on our first home in New Jersey last month and we discovered the pipe of an underground oil tank sticking up near the back door. We have gas heat, so the tank is no longer in use. The esquitrix of the property verified in the contract that she had no knowlegde of an underground oil tank on the property and the home inspector also missed it during the inspection. Is it manditory that the oil tank be removed and if so, who is ultimately responsible for the costs of removing the tank? Do we need to take legal action against either the esquitrix or home inspector?

You Are Guilty

Very generally speaking, unless it's leaking, you do not need to have it removed, but I'd check your local ordinances to be absolutely sure.

(If it is leaking, you will have a lot of problems to contend with in the very near future, so keep your fingers crossed).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">