• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adopting a Grandchild in Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

signqueen

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?I live in Ohio, son and g/f are in Utah.
She is 3 months pregnant and they want me and my husband (son's stepfather) to adopt the baby, her parents are all for it too. They are willing to sign the forms with no problems.
PROBLEM: in 1990's my husband and his ex were in a religious cult in Massachusetts, this is a long story but basically he wanted out, his angry 10 yr old step-daughter(he adopted her at 1yr) accused him of "touching her" (same story as her friend had told on someone else a few months earlier), he informed the police and asked them to tell her how serious lying about something like that was (they did) it was agreed by all they would get the girl therapy ...it was dropped and the marriage split up anyway, dropped until he married me 2 yrs later. The ex had thought he would return one day and was EXTREMELY ANGRY. When we filed for visitation (4 kids) the ex brought it back up...
Long story short, no investigation, no child services, police had no records but were afraid of getting in trouble so went along with ex's (new)version, we got a $$$$ lawyer who advised plea bargain (In MA plea bargain or jail 98% are found guilty). We then (and now)live in Ohio, they accepted his 2 year probation (transfer from MA), didn't believe the story, gave him a lie detector test, determined he was innocent, didn't make him get any therapy after that, just signed everything off after the probation period. HOWEVER, this does make him a felon with (lowest) child abuse charge. He was not ordered to register in MA but Ohio makes all transfers register and upgrade them to predator (highest), they felt bad for my husband so lowered it to medium grade, and he has to register for 10 more years. The incident was supposed to have happened in 1996-7 one time and in the paperwork the girls statements don't match (the DA told my husband the mother was forcing girl to testify, who was by then 15 she didn't want to lie in court for mom) The DA was a jerk and just wanted a conviction and the mother just wanted my husband to never see his kids. I was a Guardian ad Litem and did my own investigation/talked with people who had known all of them for years.
ANYWAY, we are building a garage with a huge apt and a room for the baby this summer (baby due in Oct), next year we will build a house next to it, so that part is no problem. Can get letters from lots of people including his oldest daughter (by another woman), foster parent, schoolteachers, lots of professionals, parents and maybe even a federal judge as to my husbands integrity.
QUESTIONS:
1. Are we going to have a problem filing for permanent custody and/or adoption even with both parents very willing consent? We don't want to lose our grandchild, we already take our (my)daughters son about 4 months out of the year he is 2. If we have to we will let my daughter adopt the child but they really want us to and we really really want to. I would appreciate any advice, I know I will need a lawyer that's not a problem even though we are on a limited budget we will find a way. I am 42 and my husband is 38. I have a huge family and we all live in the same neighborhood.
2. Can we do this here in Ohio if it can be done? Its important in case they break up later, don't want her changing her mind and filing for custody after years go by. We will (always) let her and her parents be in touch.
Thank so much!

LdiJ

signqueen said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?I live in Ohio, son and g/f are in Utah.
She is 3 months pregnant and they want me and my husband (son's stepfather) to adopt the baby, her parents are all for it too. They are willing to sign the forms with no problems.
PROBLEM: in 1990's my husband and his ex were in a religious cult in Massachusetts, this is a long story but basically he wanted out, his angry 10 yr old step-daughter(he adopted her at 1yr) accused him of "touching her" (same story as her friend had told on someone else a few months earlier), he informed the police and asked them to tell her how serious lying about something like that was (they did) it was agreed by all they would get the girl therapy ...it was dropped and the marriage split up anyway, dropped until he married me 2 yrs later. The ex had thought he would return one day and was EXTREMELY ANGRY. When we filed for visitation (4 kids) the ex brought it back up...
Long story short, no investigation, no child services, police had no records but were afraid of getting in trouble so went along with ex's (new)version, we got a $$$$ lawyer who advised plea bargain (In MA plea bargain or jail 98% are found guilty). We then (and now)live in Ohio, they accepted his 2 year probation (transfer from MA), didn't believe the story, gave him a lie detector test, determined he was innocent, didn't make him get any therapy after that, just signed everything off after the probation period. HOWEVER, this does make him a felon with (lowest) child abuse charge. He was not ordered to register in MA but Ohio makes all transfers register and upgrade them to predator (highest), they felt bad for my husband so lowered it to medium grade, and he has to register for 10 more years. The incident was supposed to have happened in 1996-7 one time and in the paperwork the girls statements don't match (the DA told my husband the mother was forcing girl to testify, who was by then 15 she didn't want to lie in court for mom) The DA was a jerk and just wanted a conviction and the mother just wanted my husband to never see his kids. I was a Guardian ad Litem and did my own investigation/talked with people who had known all of them for years.
ANYWAY, we are building a garage with a huge apt and a room for the baby this summer (baby due in Oct), next year we will build a house next to it, so that part is no problem. Can get letters from lots of people including his oldest daughter (by another woman), foster parent, schoolteachers, lots of professionals, parents and maybe even a federal judge as to my husbands integrity.
QUESTIONS:
1. Are we going to have a problem filing for permanent custody and/or adoption even with both parents very willing consent? We don't want to lose our grandchild, we already take our (my)daughters son about 4 months out of the year he is 2. If we have to we will let my daughter adopt the child but they really want us to and we really really want to. I would appreciate any advice, I know I will need a lawyer that's not a problem even though we are on a limited budget we will find a way. I am 42 and my husband is 38. I have a huge family and we all live in the same neighborhood.
2. Can we do this here in Ohio if it can be done? Its important in case they break up later, don't want her changing her mind and filing for custody after years go by. We will (always) let her and her parents be in touch.
Thank so much!
In my opinion you should just start out with custody of the baby. If everyone is in agreement then you just have an attorney draw up the papers and a judge signs off on it...there is no investigation. You can also consult wtih an attorney to see if a private adoption requires and investigation and a home study (but it probably does).

You also have the interstate laws to get around before you can even attempt any kind of custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">