• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Construction Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anoli

What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS

I am a single female who just purchased a condo and hired a construction company to do the work in the kitchen and the bathroom. I agreed to pay them $4,800 for labor and approximately $1,000 for any additional parts that hadn't already been provided.

To make a long story short, the contractor didn't finish the job and when he came to get paid, he brought $2,500 in receipts for "extra material" that he supposedly purchased. When I looked at one of the receipts, it was clear that it was a fraudelant receipt that had nothing to do with my condo. When I told the contractor that I needed to look thru the receipts, he grabbed them ll, started yelling, calling me names and ran out of the house.

Next thing I know he placed a lien against my property for $5,000 in labor (a lie) and additional $1,600 for material.

What do I do now??? I was suppose to sell the property this friday, but I received copy of the lien on monday. I don't want the guy to take advantage of me! But I also don't want to prolong the situation. He went thru a "Recovery" service. Can I negotiate with them directly? But if I do that, wont they be on his side? Should I go to Small Claims Court? But how long and how much will that take?

Thank You vey much for your help.

Last edited:

John Se

go to court, hire a lawyer

You have to go to court to get the lien released, they have to go to court to get the lien perfected. As i see it you will all meet in court with your lawyers. Is cost money to fight, since your workman is fighting over profit, you can probably guess the point of hitting diminishing returns.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">