• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MARBOOZ

What is the name of your state? Florida

Okay I have a few questions...1st can a father give up his rights without a child being adopted by someone else?
second if the father does give up his rights would the person adopting him have to be married to the mother of the child. :confused:
I was told by dept of revenue that the father cannot give up his rights unless the child was adopted. But Im not married to the person who has taken care of him since birth. Do we have to be married and if so for how long?

Oops read the post wrong the first time. Yes the mother would have to be married to the person wanting to adopt. Depends on the state how long normally at least a year. Yes BF will have to sign away his rights for child to be adopted.

nextwife

MARBOOZ said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

Okay I have a few questions...1st can a father give up his rights without a child being adopted by someone else?
second if the father does give up his rights would the person adopting him have to be married to the mother of the child. :confused:
I was told by dept of revenue that the father cannot give up his rights unless the child was adopted. But Im not married to the person who has taken care of him since birth. Do we have to be married and if so for how long?

A father give up his rights if a child is being adopted by someone single who is NOT the mother. Single parent adoptions do happen all the time. I know many woman who adopted children by themselves.

I have always wondered. If a woman can adopt an unrelated child as a single, why could she not, by herself "adopt" her child, or rather, "adopt" dad's side, or dad adopt mom's side? Presuming, of course, the party qualifies to adopt as a single.

haiku

nextwife said:

I have always wondered. If a woman can adopt an unrelated child as a single, why could she not, by herself "adopt" her child, or rather, "adopt" dad's side, or dad adopt mom's side? Presuming, of course, the party qualifies to adopt as a single.
now haven't we discussed the fact that there are states (I think Texas was one) where you don't have to have an adoption to give up rights?

just a little trivia,When my husband adopted our child, I also had to do a TPR under my old name, and adopt my child with my married name, along with my husband, to legally do all the paperwork in my state......

nextwife

Actually, I was talking about ALL states. A single person may adopt and there would not be a "other parent" for the state to go after in the event the parent obtains assistance. In all those states that allow single parent adoption, if a person can qualify as a single adoptor, why couldn't they "adopt" their own child, having the other parent relinquish rights without a stepparent adopting?

Interesting legal process on your adoption.

But I wonder if a parent could technically have the other parent give up rights, even though they are single, if THEY "adopt" their child as a single? Would there be anything LEGALLY wrong with a parent relinquishing their rights over to themselves? After all, bioparents CAN choose the adoptive parent or parents. Why couldn't a couple that both agree that only one of them wants parental rights "choose" one of them as the adoptive parent? Again, presuming they are financially competant and would not burden the state.

nextwife said:
Actually, I was talking about ALL states. A single person may adopt and there would not be a "other parent" for the state to go after in the event the parent obtains assistance. In all those states that allow single parent adoption, if a person can qualify as a single adoptor, why couldn't they "adopt" their own child, having the other parent relinquish rights without a stepparent adopting?

Interesting legal process on your adoption.

But I wonder if a parent could technically have the other parent give up rights, even though they are single, if THEY "adopt" their child as a single? Would there be anything LEGALLY wrong with a parent relinquishing their rights over to themselves? After all, bioparents CAN choose the adoptive parent or parents. Why couldn't a couple that both agree that only one of them wants parental rights "choose" one of them as the adoptive parent? Again, presuming they are financially competant and would not burden the state.
Huh?
No you cannot "adopt" your own child.

Single-parent adoptions can be done with children already in "the system" that need a home and have no legal parents. That is an entirely different scenario.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">