• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My property is not in my name and want to sell

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rkim

i live in california and own a home i purchased in 1991 but had it in another person's name..i am having personal problems with this person and feel he will try to claim it as his..is there anything i can do..i've made all the payments :confused:

rkim

Actually my mother in law purchased it and put it in her business manager's name because of either tax reasons or credit reasons (she doesn't remember), the house is in the same property area as her business..she has proof that all the payment was made through her and this person has never lived there..now she is wants to cut all ties to him and wants to remove his name from everything ..i know this sounds like a stupid thing she did but at this point all i can do is try to see if we can resolve it somehow.

nextwife

Real Estate doesn't work that way. The OWNER is the person to whom title is vested, (with that person's spouse having a possible marital property interest). It makes no difference who made the payments.

This was a moronic way to handle a RE ownership. You can't possibly have bothered consulting with an attorney or RE professional about what your interests would be when you hatched this plan.

The house is NOT yours, not even your MILs. You have no legal interest. You have no rights. You have nothing but a check register showing paymrents on someone elses property.

Manny_Borges

off topic

BelizeBreeze said:
The answer to your problem is in your latest response.
Do you ever post a remark that isn' caustic, unhelpful, and a general waste of everyones time?

My condolences to the original poster of this thread, but it seems you tried to "work" the system and it is biting you in the behind.

rmet4nzkx

If this was the business manager's idea then there might be some fraud involved, since this was related to the business. Are there other financial problems?

rkim

I want everyone to understand that I did NOt do this, so stop being so judgemental..i would never be so stupid as to putting anything especially property in any other person's name, but unfortunately my mother in law is..but i'm trying to see if they're is anything i can do..she does not speak english very well so she trusted her manager/friend which turned out to be a crook..so i just wanted to see besides the basics of real estate if anyone knew of any exceptions if you can possibly go to court about.

Shel77

Sorry that your MIL got into this, but unfortunately there is nothing that can be done if this manager’s name is on the deed/ title to the home then he is the owner. Unless of course they are legally married and he purchased it while they were married then that would give her rights but unless that's the case she can't do anything. Sorry again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">