• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can verbal agreement be enforced after paid in full?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Big Sis

What is the name of your state? Georgia

When my brother & his wife purchased their 1st home his mother-in-law convinced them to just put it in her name because they had not established any credit yet. When paid in full she would sign it over. They have receipts where they personally paid every payment for 18 yrs. During this time she purchased a small cabin that became available beside them. Unknowing to them as soon as they paid it off she immediately had the 9 acres other than the acre the house was sitting on cut from their plat & added to hers so that she could borrow money. She could do this because the deed was in her name. My brother had built a large barn & large shop on the property she cut off. She & daughter faught so much that daughter ran out on family. Then mother-in-law decided she would no longer allow my brother & his children to live there unless he started paying rent. He refused - she filed eviction - he appealed - Judge said he could do nothing because her name was on deed & told her she would have to take it back to magistrate. My brother went to magistrate every day & was told she could not touch his stuff until she refiled. During this time he had an attorney looking over his papers. She was friends with Magistrate Clerk & 1st day he went out of town to work it was suddenly decided she did not need to refile & eviction stood. He came home after daughter called to tell him everything was thrown outside, broken & rained on. Any advise on what he may be able to do from this point. Attorney was new in town & said he was not realestate attny & if he wisssshed to persue it he would need someone else because he did not feel he could do anything.

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

Have you brother call the bar association, make a complaint re his attorney and referal to another attorney.

Big Sis

Thanks! Do you think he has any chance or would just be throwing more money to the wind?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">