• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child hurt on my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dk1454

What is the name of your state? VA

The child was riding his bike with my kids and he apparently lost control and ran off the pavement and into some trees. As a result, he is in the hospital with internal bleeding. This is apparently one of those statistical anomolies where a kid with helmet still gets seriously hurt riding a bike.

The child was invited when the father called and asked me if his two kids could come over and play. This has been a back and forth ritual from our house to theirs and vice versa since the weather started getting nicer. The bike belongs to the child, not us.

I know child injury laws place more burden on the property owner, but I simply don't know what I could have done to prevent this except:
1.) not have the kids over to play, ride bikes, etc.
2.) in this case, let the kids play but not ride bikes.

All commments are welcome. Thanks

dk1454

I can't believe it! I waited and waited and checked and checked for a reply and this is what I get?

What do you think I want you to comment about? The weather? I want comments about my liability as it pertains to the situation I described. I haven't heard anything from the parents other than reports on the condition of the child. And if I did hear something from them I wouldn't be asking for comments about what they said because it would be pretty clear as to what their intent is.

I welcome all intelligent comments. Stephenk you can stay out of this one since you proved there is such a thing as a stupid question.

dk1454

S

seniorjudge

dk1454 said:
I can't believe it! I waited and waited and checked and checked for a reply and this is what I get?

What do you think I want you to comment about? The weather? I want comments about my liability as it pertains to the situation I described. I haven't heard anything from the parents other than reports on the condition of the child. And if I did hear something from them I wouldn't be asking for comments about what they said because it would be pretty clear as to what their intent is.

I welcome all intelligent comments. Stephenk you can stay out of this one since you proved there is such a thing as a stupid question.

dk1454
Yeah, I had better stay out of it too; with an attitude like yours, I wouldn't want to get involved in this thread.

Have a nice day.

:D

dk1454

This is unbelievable. I start getting posts on my thread within a half hour rather than two weeks when I show my frustration towards a really, really dumb reply to my original post.

Yeah, you please stay out of it too since you were stupid enough to waste your own time with such a senseless reply.

dk1454

MandyD

dk1454 said:

The child was riding his bike with my kids and he apparently lost control and ran off the pavement and into some trees. As a result, he is in the hospital with internal bleeding. This is apparently one of those statistical anomolies where a kid with helmet still gets seriously hurt riding a bike.

The child was invited when the father called and asked me if his two kids could come over and play. This has been a back and forth ritual from our house to theirs and vice versa since the weather started getting nicer. The bike belongs to the child, not us.

I know child injury laws place more burden on the property owner, but I simply don't know what I could have done to prevent this except:

You asked no question and you welcomed ALL comments.

S

seniorjudge

dk1454 said:

You asked no question and you welcomed ALL comments.

I respectfully disagree: He welcomed all commments.

dk1454

I hope you guys are not lawyers. If you happen to be lawyers and are representative of lawyers in general, then I am in big trouble in the event I am a defendant.

You see, the name of this site is "forum.freeadvice.com". Using the reasonable person mentality, most reasonable people making an original post on the site are seeking advice on whatever it is they are talking about in their post! Also, most reasonable people viewing posts on this site can conclude that whoever made the original post is seeking advice on whatever it is they wrote about.

So theoretically, there is not a need for a direct question. There is a need, however, for someone viewing the original post to have a little common sense.

"I see dumb people"

southern12

Homeowners Insurance Med-Pay

Sad thing is that those respondents could very well be lawyers...unless a specific question intending to produce a specific response is put forth, they do not have to provide an "intelligent" or "common sensical" answer even if they may have in fact understood what you were trying to imply...they can simply object to it on the grounds that your request is "overly broad" and "unduly burdensome", the definitions of certain terms are unclear, the information you are seeking may not be considered to lead to "admissible evidence" blah blah blah...

i was really looking forward to some commentary on this subject and was disappointed that those people responded in such a way as they did, as my son was involved in an accident yesterday while playing at a friend's house riding his friend's bike and fell...he had to have two permanent teeth pushed back into place, temporary braces to stabilize the teeth, will have a 2 week follow up w/ orthodontist, a 3 week follow up with endodontist for a possible root canal, trauma to the gums and lips, cuts and bruises on face, arms, legs etc.).

so then, i wish i could provide answers but i'm seeking them as well and i'm not a lawyer...i work for an attorney who briefley mentioned some possible options, so the only thing i can tell you since you have not been confronted by the parents so you don't know what they are seeking, is to check your homeowners policy for med-pay coverage and since the accident was not your fault and you aren't necessarily negligent, this might be the extent of it (the med-pay policy limit); personally, that is all that i would be seeking is the payment of these dental procedures.

but i'm not a lawyer. i just work for one... :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">