• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Way being used as a parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Harvard Place

What is the name of your state? MASSACHUSETTS

I live in a historic area and my condo building along with 5 others border a private way. Each building owns to the middle of the private way. Some residents feel that this is a parking lot but from research I have done I believe this is considered an easement and therefore people are trespassing others property. Several of us would like to put a stop to this and create a garden area. The stones that make up the private way are also of historical significance. The other issue is that there is no way a fire truck or fire fighters would have access to the area with the cars parked there.

I am looking to find out how to change the use of this area.

Thank you.

Greg 2

Contact the fire marshall and ask if he will designate the easement a fire lane, and assist in having it marked as such with an official sign.

BelizeBreeze

Check your deed. It will tell you whether or not this is an easement and for what it is designated. If it's ingress/egress then each owner has the right to control the use of the easement for uses other than what is prescribed.

In this case, if it is only for ingress/egress, place signs on the easement stipulating it's legal use and that any and all vehicles found parking on the easement will be towed at the owner's expense....then follow through.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">