• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claim my house ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cgbb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state? _____ Florida

I pay child support for my 12 year old son, never been default, I have been divorced from his mother for 5years. we never owned a home when we were together we always rent. I re-married 2 years ago and my new wife was a homeowner when I met her we now share the mortgage, she refinanced last year and considered putting me on the deed as part owner of the house but she is afraid to because she said my ex-wife can put claim to the house if my name is on the deed, because she has custody of my son, I will have to wait until my son is 18..

can my ex-wife by law do that ?

I live in florida.

S

seniorjudge

cgbb said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state? _____ Florida

I pay child support for my 12 year old son, never been default, I have been divorced from his mother for 5years. we never owned a home when we were together we always rent. I re-married 2 years ago and my new wife was a homeowner when I met her we now share the mortgage, she refinanced last year and considered putting me on the deed as part owner of the house but she is afraid to because she said my ex-wife can put claim to the house if my name is on the deed, because she has custody of my son, I will have to wait until my son is 18..

can my ex-wife by law do that ?

I live in florida.

I think what she means is that if someone (anyone) got a judgment against you, it could affect her real estate if your name was on the deed.

Make sure she has a current will showing that whoever she wants will get the land when she goes.

Right now, with your name not on the deed, you may not get all of it.

She really needs to talk to a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">