• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They are old enough to have their own Lives yet I still pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsMe1027

What is the name of your state? Michigan

This is my first time using a forum so I hope I am doing this right. I have some questions on what I can do as the non custodial parent.
In short I have two children. When we first separated years ago, he had both of the girls. A few years ago my oldest was giving her father a hard way to go so we agreed to have my oldest move in with me and our youngest with her father. We have never been married, but I try to uphold both parents ect... When we both had a child in each home, there was no support. Since then my oldest moved back at her fathers without my concent due to she wanted to graduate from a better school. The father stated he did not want support. Well 2-4 weeks later we ended up at the court house for a review. Once financial information was input in the computer we discussed an amount and it was agreed upon but never put in writting. But I have tried to hold up to that amount. Now I am filing bankruptcy, I am behind in support and have no visitation schedual with the children nor a holiday schedual. I would like to release my rights but he won't agree....how can I stop the support on the two girls when I don't see them nor have a say in what happens in school or what doctor they go to even though I have/had " Joint Legal Custody"... technically there isn't even a support order in the system. My oldest is 18 and moving out of her fathers in June and my youngest is 17 will be 18 in January. Is there anything I can do? :confused:

Shay-Pari'e

Why don't you have visitation? Hellooooooooo!! That is your job to file for it.

So you gave birth to two kids you never really supported as they mainly lived with the father?

You are seriously asking us how you can get out of supporting your children?

OH! And Ditto what IAAL said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veronica1228

In other words, it is shocking that you want to wash your hands of your children all together. Don't you love them at all? If you did you would be concerned that your daughters were being provided for, even though you don't get to see them. If your attitude just stems from bitterness against your ex, and the fact that you don't have visitation rights, try to get over it. They are still your daughters and they need your financial support because it looks like they can't count on your emotional support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">