• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executing A Joint Tenant Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sinc

What is the name of your state? MICHIGAN
After my mother wrote a will leaving her property to me and my sister as tenants in common, a grandson secretly convinced her he should be added to the property and had her sign a joint tenant deed naming him on the property with me and my sister. I am confident my 94 year old mother did not understand she was changing from a tenants in common to a joint tenant deed. She signed the deed a year before her death and my nephew held it until she died. After her death he told us about the deed's existence, adding him to the property, but he never showed it to us or gave us a copy: nor was the deed filed for another year. We were shocked that the deed was a joint tenant deed (he is considerably younger and anticipates outliving us to claim his right of survivorship).Since my mother did nothing to execute the deed, and we were never given a copy of the deed; since my nephew never participated in the expenses (maintenance and taxes) of the property as the deed specified and he did not file the deed until a year later, is there grounds to have this deed voided? It there anything out of order with the deed not having been delivered to us to date or my mother not having executed it before her death?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">