• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another wacky neigbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chai1836

What is the name of your state? Kansas

It seems that trouble will always find me. We have a neighbor, at the house we just purchased 6 mos. ago. The man is crazy (verified by the other neighbors that have lived in the cul-de-sac longer than we have). From all of the rusted and broken crap all over his property to tanning outside naked while the neighborhood kids play in the cul-de-sac, the man is clearly sick in the head. The other day, he decides that he does not like where my sump pump drains, so he digs a hole to collect water and comes on my property bends my fence and yanks the pipe (a whole 6 inches) to "divert the flow" of water. I have no physical evidence that he did it but it is obvious by his other actions (i.e. digging the whole, building a mud barrier to divert the water). The police say that I can't do anything about it because I never "told him" to stay off my property. I have since done so but is that really the law? If someone shoplifts or if someone break a window or fence or front door of another persons property, is it OK because they were never told not to do it? Why is trespassing and vandalism not against the law in this case? We get along well with everyone else in the neighborhood and all of us consider him the "Black eye" of our cul-de-sac. I don't think that we did anything to deserve the harassment and I am scared for the my Wife's safety and the safety of my pets (we found peanut shells by our fence that may have been poisoned, of course, my Wife threw them away before she told me about them). What can I do, legally? Post signs? Set up cameras? Press charges? Please help and let me know if you need more information.

Thanks

I have to ask... why, for heaven's sake, would you buy a house by/near another that has a junkyard for a front lawn? Shouldn't that have tipped you off just a little bit about this guy? A good neighbor is someone who has respect for the neighborhood and its appearance.

chai1836

I know Cuckoo, you are correct. However, this was the first time we had purchased a house and I guess that I was not really paying attention to that. I thought that it would not bother me as much as it does, plus, I thought that I would have more backing from the city to handle such people. I was blinded by the excitement of actually purchasing my own home. Trust me, I have learned my lesson and will not as foolish the next time around. I just hope that I do not have trouble selling the house in the next few years. Every other house in the neighborhood is beautiful, so now we just make sure that we face the other way. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">