• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

zoning law vs a civil right

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chrisy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? ct

My neighbor is trying to acquire my land by adverse posession and has filed a civil action to do so.

Based on zoning law regulations, no person has the right to make changes to non-conforming property, except to make it conforming.

Her civil claim of adverse possesion would compound the problem of my nonconforming lot.

Does zoning law over step her civil rights to claim adverse possesion?

chrisy

The land that my Neighbor is trying to acquire is part of the property of my home. The disputed land is a pie shape piece of land that is 2 feet wide at the street/sidewalk. It goes back 60 feet along the true property line until it reaches a fence, then it returns to the Street/sidewall following the fence.

The basis of her claim is that the fence represented adverse possession.

The Home I own is located on a non-conforming lot. Among other nonconforming issues is lot size and set back of the house on the property.

Present Zoning law states that you cannot change a non-conforming lot accept to make the lot conform to zoning law.

My intent is to use the zoning law to deny the civil action of adverse possession.

shortbus

If someone has filed an adverse possession action against you, you need a lawyer, not an internet board.

IMO, the zoning regulation cannot act as a defense to adverse possession. The zoning law sets out your obligations are a property owner, within the lot you own. Adverse possession resolves disputes between lots. They don't really have anything to do with each other.

It is possible loss of land through adverse possession could make your lot less conforming. If so, that's your problem, not the claimant's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">