• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sleeporter

What is the name of your state? TN

My ex-husband told me that he was claiming on his taxes that he is paying me alimony. He is claiming that he pays what he is supposed to pay in child support $130.00 a week as alimony. It is not in the divorce papers that he pays me alimony. I've been told that this is illegal for him to do. He has only paid me $720.00 in child support in the three years of our divorce. Should I report this to someone?

LdiJ

sleeporter said:
What is the name of your state? TN

My ex-husband told me that he was claiming on his taxes that he is paying me alimony. He is claiming that he pays what he is supposed to pay in child support $130.00 a week as alimony. It is not in the divorce papers that he pays me alimony. I've been told that this is illegal for him to do. He has only paid me $720.00 in child support in the three years of our divorce. Should I report this to someone?
No, you don't need to report it. When he puts it on his tax return he also has to supply the IRS your social security number. When the IRS gets around to matching it up to your tax return then you will get a notice regarding the alledged alimony. You will respond to the IRS with a copy of your divorce decree showing that he is not paying alimony....and his butt will be in a serious sling.

In addition, if he has only paid you 720.00 in three years, then by now there is likely a tax intercept out for the child support arrearages....which will just doubly prove that what he is to pay to you is child support, not alimony.

Your ex is an IDIOT. At 130.00 a week that means he is taking an above the line deduction of 6760.00 per year on his taxes....which means that he is eventually going to owe anywhere from 1014.00 - 2366.00 in taxes for every year that he did this, PLUS a 20% penalty and interest. It could be even more if he is entitled to any credits because of the amount of his adjusted gross income. If he has done it for all three years he is racking up some serious debt to the IRS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">