• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not getting money while married!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tigerconnie71

What is the name of your state? PA

This might sound like a dumb question, but is there any kind of law that requires a spouse to pay money to the other spouse while still married. My husband has a good job and makes $500.00 a week. I never receive any of it. Once in a while he will give me $200.00, but the savings account is empty now and I don't know where else to turn. I ask him for the money but he never gives it to me. He's not on drugs, doesn't drink or smoke, or gamble. I have no idea where in the world he money goes, but we have 3 children and I am ready to leave over this! You can't pay bills when the money isn't there. I work part-time and all of my money goes to bills since I get nothing from him. Just wondering if hiring a lawyer would help.

LdiJ

tigerconnie71 said:
What is the name of your state? PA

This might sound like a dumb question, but is there any kind of law that requires a spouse to pay money to the other spouse while still married. My husband has a good job and makes $500.00 a week. I never receive any of it. Once in a while he will give me $200.00, but the savings account is empty now and I don't know where else to turn. I ask him for the money but he never gives it to me. He's not on drugs, doesn't drink or smoke, or gamble. I have no idea where in the world he money goes, but we have 3 children and I am ready to leave over this! You can't pay bills when the money isn't there. I work part-time and all of my money goes to bills since I get nothing from him. Just wondering if hiring a lawyer would help.
I suggest that you hand him the bills and tell him to pay them. They aren't just your obligation, they are his as well. You should do that whether you go out and get a full time job (as the other poster suggested) or not. You have made things far too easy on him by accepting responsibility for the bills.

Its time for him to grow up and learn to be responsible.

LdiJ

stephenk said:
$500 a week is a good job? Is he a high school dropout?
Lets not be stupid here.....this is a situation where the two parents are living together(or married)...dad works full time and mom works part time...three kids.....and apparently mom is paying the bills alone out of her part time wages.

Dad needs to step up to the plate and act like a responsible adult.

nextwife

stephenk said:
Did hubby just start this or was he always like this with his wages?

See, I wondered that as well. Because, if he's always been like that, it should have been no surprise that he was STILL like that after child 1 was born, and continued to do this after child 2 was born, and SURPRISE, even after child 3.

You and hubby shouldn't need a "law" to deal appropriately with you joint financial situation. You need to BE a couple, and sit down together and figure out how to create a good plan to finance the kids and the household needs. My hubby and I each have certain funds from our individual checking go directly in a joint account for the usual household needs, and each pitch in as needed from our own accounts. If he has never been involved in the household budget, he may be clueless about the actual cost of certain things.

Try making him a spreadsheet setting out the anticipated monthly needs, and sit him down and have a heart to heart about what goes out each month and the need for shared participation. Can't you talk to your own husband?

And if this is a NEW behavior, one has to wonder why he is stashing money away and what he's planning.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">