• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shel77

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am not certain as to how common this is but in our city/county you can not run another fence parallel to an existing one. The reason I mention it is that this advice is given a lot (Just put up your own fence on your property) We have a similar situation with our neighbors they want to put up a fence and connect to ours however we left about 6 to 10 inches between our fence and our property line to maintain the fence and to prevent them planting anything along our fence. When the neighbors moved in (we are in a new build) we put the survey stakes back up to show them where the survey pins are, thinking that would make them aware that they can't put things there or connect to our fence without permission.

Anyhow these neighbors are less than neighborly and we really don’t care for them at all, the first time they bother to talk to us is when we see a fence company over there after they were done we informed them that the fence would not be allowed to connect to ours. A few weeks pass and the company comes out again and the neighbors come and ask why we won’t allow his fence to connect to ours. I told him it would mean his fence not only touching and possibly damaging our fence but that he would also have to cross over our property to do so.

He then found out that he can not get a permit to run another fence next to ours on his property so he is mad. Anyhow point is, Can they sue me in anyway shape or form since I wont allow them to cross my land our connect to my fence and the city won’t allow them to put up their own next to mine?

BelizeBreeze

Of course the can sue. Hell, I could sue you. Whether or not the suit has merit is another question.

It is your proerty, PERIOD! The court can't force you to allow someone to use your land without an overriding interest and putting up a fence is not one.

Of course, you can quit being a prick and tell them IF you allow them to put up a fence and attach to your existing fence, then they will be required to sign an agreement drafted by your attorney stipulating that they will NEVER acquire title to the part of the land that you own on the 'other' side of the fence and that any and all damage caused by their connecting to your fence will be solely borne by them.

And that they will be responsible for the cost of drafting the agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">