• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should we contact our Congressman or Senator?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nikki74

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My husband was denied Disability in 2001 and he got an attorney shortly after and they had the hearing in March of 2004 and he was denied in October of 2004 and the attorney is appealing to the supreme court and says it could be 12-24 months until they know something. We have an attorney that specializes in Disability and the lady we talk to says the attorney wouldn't have taken the case if she didn't think she would win. And her reputation is known for winning almost all of her cases. Anyway, a few people have told us to contact our Congressman or Senator.

Since we already have an attorney can we contact or congressman or senator?

And if we do contact them, does anyone know what will happen?

Thanks!

tigger22472

Yes you can contact them even though you have a lawyer.

What you will be told is that they can not make them go any faster they can only inquire on your behalf and see where the case stands. Now by just the way it sounds it doesn't sound like it makes that much of a big deal, however, let's just say that in my husband's case we fully believe just receiving a letter with the Congressman's letterhead on top sped things along. He was getting the run around with the lawyer and with SS and within 2 weeks of the Congressman's office sending out a letter it was sent to Chicago for review and less then two weeks later he was approved.

Nikki74

I feel like we are getting the run around too. They really made us think we would have the disabiltiy by summer 04 and now that it is going to the supreme court the attorneys get 25% of everything he gets instead of $5000. Then they told us 8-10 months for the appeal and then they told us 12-24 months. It's a good thing my husband has me around to help out with the bills or he would be on the streets.

Would it be best to write a letter or make a phone call? Any advice on what we should say? Just tell them "I been denied disability and my attorney is appealing" give them dates of when he filed and when the hearing was and when he was denied and the time length the attorney expects? Should he say he is struggling to keep his bills paid and owes child support that he is unable to keep current?

Last edited:

BL

A written Letter is better always . Keep a Copy .

You can include his disability(s) , and that the Lawyer believes he should be entitled to benefits .

What was SSA's reason for denial ?

tigger22472

Nikki74 said:
I feel like we are getting the run around too. They really made us think we would have the disabiltiy by summer 04 and now that it is going to the supreme court the attorneys get 25% of everything he gets instead of $5000. Then they told us 8-10 months for the appeal and then they told us 12-24 months. It's a good thing my husband has me around to help out with the bills or he would be on the streets.

Would it be best to write a letter or make a phone call? Any advice on what we should say? Just tell them "I been denied disability and my attorney is appealing" give them dates of when he filed and when the hearing was and when he was denied and the time length the attorney expects? Should he say he is struggling to keep his bills paid and owes child support that he is unable to keep current?
I agree that a letter would be better then a phone call but it would even be better if you could go to the office in person. The Congressman himself will most likely not deal with it but someone in the office.

Nikki74

Blonde Lebinese said:
What was SSA's reason for denial ?
That there are between 600-1000 jobs in Missouri that he could work. What we don't understand is that they said in order to appeal you had to have new evidence. Well, the attorney appealed so we think she must have withheld some evidence so it would go to the supreme court so she could have more money in her pocket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">