• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraud Mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wcowell2000

What is the name of your state? FL

I have had someone forge my name to a mortgage in an attempt to get me to pay a bill. It has been placed with the county registrar and now I cannot refi my house without paying it. What can I do? I cannot afford a lawyer. Someone mentioned "Slander of Title" suit.

nextwife

Obtain copies of all the recorded mortgage documents. Work backwards, contacting the mortgage company, the title company and the closing agent. You also want to pay close attention to who the notary was. The closing agent/notary has a responsibility to review the identification of the signatory. If the title company/closing attorney for this mortgage failed to obtain ID, they may be on the hook as the "insured closing agent" for failing in thier duties.

Anyway, you can at least start researching where and when the closing took place and who the parties were. Either way, you will need to pursue legal action, but get your ducks in a row, and contact all the closing parties, mortgage company and title company by certified letter that this was a fraudulant mortgage transaction. CErtainly, the title company will want to know who is going around falsifying mortgages or who is not following proper due diligence when notarizing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">