• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my chances?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RUDANINO

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Arizona

This is kind of long but I really need help. I was recently in court because my ex husband, who is in prison, took me to court so that he can get visitation rights. The Judge granted the visitation rights :mad: Our daughter is 3 years old and she has not seen her father since she was 3 months. My ex husband abandoned our home. I have remarried and my new husband wants to adopt my daughter, as he has been a part of her life since she was 9 months. My ex husband is in prison for serious charges and he will not be out intil another 10 years.
Can my husband still adopt her? I know my ex husband will contest, but the visitations hasn't started yet and my little girl has no idea who her biological father is. I'm really desperate right now, and I need some advice.

Thanks

Chances? Slim to none.

And it will put you tens of thousands of dollars in the hole for legal fees to boot.

tigger22472

The adoption probably won't take place at least not any time soon however I would speak to a lawyer about appealling the visitation ruling seeing as she's three and has not had a relationship with the father, IMO this doesn't seem in her best interest. A lawyer would be best at telling you your chances for that.

LdiJ

tigger22472 said:
The adoption probably won't take place at least not any time soon however I would speak to a lawyer about appealling the visitation ruling seeing as she's three and has not had a relationship with the father, IMO this doesn't seem in her best interest. A lawyer would be best at telling you your chances for that.
I agree. A prision is no place for children.

I agree that prision is not the place for a child. HOWEVER, it is always in the "best interests" of the child to establish, maintain and nurture a relationship with the father, regardless of where he lives unless there are extraordinary curcumstances, like he has molested her. This is how the court sees it. The judge just recently ruled and I don't see how any judge will reverse it when the parties haven't even given it a chance. Even criminals have the constitutional right to raise (or in this case, visit) their own children.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">