• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaysmom

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I am a single mother in a low paying job and have a two year old in an early head start program that is mostly paid for through jobs and family services which means I pay $123.00 and they pay the rest. I believe my child is being discriminated against b/c I do not privatelypay for her. The reason I believe this is that at this location theytest the children and I have been told that my child is above average when I asked if she could spend a just a little time in the other room with the 3-5 year olds they told me not until she was 3 wich was fine but they then moved a boy over before he was three and i asked about the move they told me it was b/c he was a private paid child but with him being older than my daughter i really didnt say much b'c he probally needed to move ahead but now my child will turn 3 in two weeks and there is a little girl younger than her that was just moved to the 3-5 yr old room ahead of my daughter b/c she is a private paid child when I ask about this they said that since I pay with assistance from the government that it is required that she not go to the 3-5 yr old room until the day she turns three but since the other children's parents had been paying out of pocket that it is there decision. My question is does this constitute as discrimination against my child? I have tried to research the no child left behind law but I dont think it applies to this age group.

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
On the face of it no, it is not discrimination. It's call governmental red-tape.
Agreed. You need to be that child's primary teacher; sounds like the bureaucrats don't give a rip....

zippysgoddess

Yep, unforunately in some instances, the government assistance agencies set the rules that must be followed for them to get their check each month for your child to attend. If they break these rules, they no longer get their money.

It is not discrimination. For instance, if you receive state medical assistance in PA, you can not get a prescription filled more than one week before your pill bottle is empty, even though someone who pays for their own pills can usually pick up several months at a time, whenever they have the money. This is not discrimination, this is just following the rules. I know someone who got in trouble for prescription fraud and now the state will not let her get any of hers filled until the very day she should be out, no matter the circumstances and that is not discrimination either. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">