• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I In The Right Place?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smcgarry

:eek: What is the name of your state? Texas.
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right catagory or not, because I know NOTHING about this situation.
I am 1 of 4 siblings and between the 4 of us we have mineral rights in Oklahoma, left to us by our Grandmother, who died years ago. The mineral rights were leased at one time for about $300.00 each, (I was too young to participate).
My first question is: If 2 siblings want to lease and 2 do not, can the 2 that want to go ahead and sign and lease their rights?
My second question is: When the paperwork was presented to me, there was a paper that says Request for Taxpayer Identification and Certification and an actual Oil and Gas Lease (paid-up) that says AGREEMENT, made and entered into this.....dates, by and between: My name c/o my sister's name and address.
Nowhere in this lease does it say how much they are paying for these rights; is that normal? How do I know my sister isn't getting all the money and I'll be left with nothing?
Anyway, if you could offer any opinions or suggestions or answers, I would REALLY appreciate it. I'm totally lost on this one!

S

seniorjudge

smcgarry said:
:eek: What is the name of your state? Texas.
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right catagory or not, because I know NOTHING about this situation.
I am 1 of 4 siblings and between the 4 of us we have mineral rights in Oklahoma, left to us by our Grandmother, who died years ago. The mineral rights were leased at one time for about $300.00 each, (I was too young to participate).
My first question is: If 2 siblings want to lease and 2 do not, can the 2 that want to go ahead and sign and lease their rights?
My second question is: When the paperwork was presented to me, there was a paper that says Request for Taxpayer Identification and Certification and an actual Oil and Gas Lease (paid-up) that says AGREEMENT, made and entered into this.....dates, by and between: My name c/o my sister's name and address.
Nowhere in this lease does it say how much they are paying for these rights; is that normal? How do I know my sister isn't getting all the money and I'll be left with nothing?
Anyway, if you could offer any opinions or suggestions or answers, I would REALLY appreciate it. I'm totally lost on this one!

The quick and obvious answer is to NEVER sign anything you do not want to sign and never sign anything you do not understand.

Q: If 2 siblings want to lease and 2 do not, can the 2 that want to go ahead and sign and lease their rights?

A: No. How in the world would that work? That would be like two owners renting an apartment but the other two owners not renting an apartment!?

Q: Nowhere in this lease does it say how much they are paying for these rights; is that normal?

A: No, absolutely not.

Q: How do I know my sister isn't getting all the money and I'll be left with nothing?

A: You won't.

Further suggestion: Get a lawyer to represent YOUR interests.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">