• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they make us take the garage down?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mooloo27

I am in Indiana and my Bf and I just bought a house. The home was a foreclosure to start with. The house sits on 3 lots, which we just recently found out in the last week the house was sold to us as 2 lots. The lady who died and origanally owned it owned all three but only had a mortgage on two of them the other was paid for free and clear. The two that were sold to us are totalling 76w X 120 the 3rd parcel is 40 X 120. The garage which is attatched to the house is on the thrid parcel which we have just found out that is going up for auction Oct 3rd. When we bought this house we were told all three lots were in the purchase but they blew us by the legal paperwork so fast we didnt notice the thrid was not in the agreement and we unfortunately didnt get a survey. We are both new to this and this is our first home. My question is this... Can they make us take the garage down which again is attatched to the home and has been since 1969 or is this grandfathered? Please help us? We dont know where to turn this house which we thought was going to be our home has become our nightmare. Thanks a bunch.

I

itsacatsworld

yes they can. And if theres a ctizen behind this it will not go away. Correct the deficiency or the complaint.

John Se

Your the best buyer for the third lot

why dont you buy the third lot? Probably no one else would want it since it has half a garage on it and another house too close to it

mooloo27

Answer to the garage question cont.

I called the trustee office today and found out some more information. The lady that owns the property in question is no longer living (which this I already knew). The property isnt for sale but will go up for auction in Oct. The title company and the mortgage company are the ones held responsible and I was told we can go back on them starting with a certified letter to each telling them they need to fix this since they didnt research the property before the sale. The title company, we found out hasnt even paid the taxes on the property that were back taxes. They arent even listed with the trustees office as of yet.

Then come to find out that our mortgage company bought our house the sameday we did and then turned around and sold it to us. Which I was explained by the trustee as something that is not usual. So Im woundering if the mortage company purchased it at a lower amount then turned around to sell it to us at a higher amount. Im not sure, again this is our first time purchasing a home and we are not sure of how the procedures work.

So now its a waiting game to see what results from the letters we write. And the answer to my question on if they can make us take down the garage if it is purchased by someone else is "yes".

Thank you all for you help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">