• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property purchase with verbal lease not disclosed in purchase agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

landownerkansas

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? I live in Rawlins County Kansas
Hi everyone, I was approached by my land lord and offered a chance to buy the property that I live on, it is a house with out buildings and 70 acres of pasture. We agreed on a price and had a local real-estate agency draw up the purchase agreement and he will also be doing the closing and holding the Ernest money.
After I read and signed the purchase agreement a couple of days later I was told by the seller that the pasture had a lease on it for this year, but was not a written lease. I re-read the purchase agreement and there was no mention of this lease in it, I then talked with the party that has the lease and asked to see a copy of the lease, that is when they said it was just a gentlemen’s agreement and had not been written on paper.
In the past the pasture had been leased while I have lived in the house, but I assumed that the lease had expired since he now wanted to sell the property so it never crossed my mind to inquire on any leases.
My question is do I have to honor the lease?
can I tell them that since their is nothing written on paper that I am choosing not to allow them to use the pasture?
The seller mentioned that I would not get any rent money for the lease.
Thanks in advance
Cliff

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">