• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abestos in Elementry School Exposure while remoldeling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

earthinhabitant

What is the name of your state? CA

Was working for a company last year and was instructed to cut though some hot spots of abestos to make way for access panels in a auditorium.

I had ask on first day of job about the demolition about abestos to a co-worker and was told that was not sure and did know.

Later was instructed to take out a celing in a kitchen and was told by electrician abestos was present and contamination was on the project.

Asked inspector about it and he ask me if I knew what abestos looked like and I showed him some and he was told me not to remove any more, this was after had asked the General Contractor and had been told all abestos removal had been completed and I had informed him that I was being told to cut through abestos and was told not to worry about it and keep ing doing what was told, the inspector told me not to do anymore and when the General Came in and wask why I had stopped working and was moving tools, told me to get back to cutting out more tiles that had had hotspots of glue, I refused, I was then put in a room doing trim work with a painting crew who tried to paint over me and I was then laid off and let go and had just been hired on for 8 weeks and this was 3 weeks into it.

Any suggestions and feedback...more concerned about the school kids than myself as I probally have been exposed to much more abestos than this from previous jobs, however there is non sealed abestos and I left my signature in the celing to prove it, as was told by several crews about the level of exposure on the job that had been going on.

As I had called my Union Steward the first day of knowledge of situation 4 days before being laid off and he came out and that, I told several people that I had called in my job steward and had reported the conditions, knowing the sub contractor I worked for would probally terminate my employment, however I think that in itself should be a issue...

persona

Get Everything In Writing

California, but not specific to Calfornia advice.

Get everything in writing including statements from your crew, contractor, union steward, etc. Write out your own observations and date it. Keep a copy of your post in this forum.

Report the asbestos to the principal, the school board and the EPA. Document all conversations and feedback.

The negative health impact from the asbestos exposure may not happen for another 20 - 30 years, so keep a well-documented paper trail for later use.

HomeGuru

earthinhabitant said:
What is the name of your state? CA

Was working for a company last year and was instructed to cut though some hot spots of abestos to make way for access panels in a auditorium.

I had ask on first day of job about the demolition about abestos to a co-worker and was told that was not sure and did know.

Later was instructed to take out a celing in a kitchen and was told by electrician abestos was present and contamination was on the project.

Asked inspector about it and he ask me if I knew what abestos looked like and I showed him some and he was told me not to remove any more, this was after had asked the General Contractor and had been told all abestos removal had been completed and I had informed him that I was being told to cut through abestos and was told not to worry about it and keep ing doing what was told, the inspector told me not to do anymore and when the General Came in and wask why I had stopped working and was moving tools, told me to get back to cutting out more tiles that had had hotspots of glue, I refused, I was then put in a room doing trim work with a painting crew who tried to paint over me and I was then laid off and let go and had just been hired on for 8 weeks and this was 3 weeks into it.

Any suggestions and feedback...more concerned about the school kids than myself as I probally have been exposed to much more abestos than this from previous jobs, however there is non sealed abestos and I left my signature in the celing to prove it, as was told by several crews about the level of exposure on the job that had been going on.

As I had called my Union Steward the first day of knowledge of situation 4 days before being laid off and he came out and that, I told several people that I had called in my job steward and had reported the conditions, knowing the sub contractor I worked for would probally terminate my employment, however I think that in itself should be a issue...
**A: you need to review EPA and AHERA requirements.

ESI

Asbestos

I like the fact he asked you if you knew what it looked like.

Positive asbestos identification can only be determined from a laboratory anaylsis. The cost is relatively cheap ($50).

It is in just about everything built before 1981 and alot of building into the mid to late 80's. Including, joint compound, fireproffing, roofing felts, floor tile, ceiling tile, insulation, caulking, glue, etc.

If you still have a sample of what you were dealing with that would be good.

In addtion to contacting EPA you will want to contact OSHA on this matter.

From what you described I'd be more worried about your exposure than the kids. Where you get into a health hazard with asbestos is when it is cut or is broken off and the particles become airborne and breathed by workers. It sounds like that is exactly what you were doing. Exposure to the kids would most likely be minimal. I can't say the same with regard to you though.

Of course maybe it's not asbestos at all. That you want to check on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">