• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sorry for the confusion of my previous post

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

naesatt

What is the name of your state?Ohio
1. If my name is on the deed as one of two owners, but my name is not on the mortgage, will I be allowed to pay a title company for a title search on my own? Will I need him to request / sign for a title search also, or can anyone search the title of a property (with title company)?
2. Can I pay someone to have this property appraised on my own, or will I need him to request / sign for an appraisal also?

Sorry for the confusion of my previous post :eek:

nextwife

ANYONE can pay a title company to do a search of the PUBLIC records to determine the condition of title. Title companies di searches for engineering firms doing research for highway rights of ways, for developers trying to buy up a couple of blocks of homes, for cities who are pursuing drug house landlords. One need not have any ownership ineterst at all to order a title report.

If a person is ordering title for a sale or mortgage, they need to make certain the provider on the lender's approved list or that the offer does not require a certain provider be used.

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

naesatt said:
What is the name of your state?Ohio
1. If my name is on the deed as one of two owners, but my name is not on the mortgage, will I be allowed to pay a title company for a title search on my own? Will I need him to request / sign for a title search also, or can anyone search the title of a property (with title company)?
2. Can I pay someone to have this property appraised on my own, or will I need him to request / sign for an appraisal also?

Sorry for the confusion of my previous post :eek:
1. Yes

and

2. Yes

nextwife

nextwife said:
ANYONE can pay a title company to do a search of the PUBLIC records to determine the condition of title. ...... One need not have any ownership interest at all to order a title report.
No signature of any owner is needed. "Title" is a report of PUBLIC RECORD information that is available to anyone.

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

nextwife said:
No signature of any owner is needed. "Title" is a report of PUBLIC RECORD information that is available to anyone.
Agreed. No one can stop you from looking at public records.

Sometimes the keepers of the public records have Napoleanic complexes, trying to make it difficult, but such actions are illegal....

nextwife

seniorjudge said:
Agreed. No one can stop you from looking at public records.

Sometimes the keepers of the public records have Napoleanic complexes, trying to make it difficult, but such actions are illegal....
If the title company is doing the searching, the private individual need not deal with public officials at all to get this done. Many title companies have in-office "title plants" and microfiche copies of all the courthouse records from a certain date forward, so they can often do most of their searching right in their plant..

S

seniorjudge

nextwife said:
If the title company is doing the searching, the private individual need not deal with public officials at all to get this done. Many title companies have in-office "title plants" and microfiche copies of all the courthouse records from a certain date forward, so they can often do most of their searching right in their plant..
And what is the source of title for those title plants?

S

seniorjudge

nextwife said:
I was searching titles in a title plant in Boulder County, Colorado, before you were born!

S

seniorjudge

nextwife said:
Abstracts written on papyrus in heiroglyphics?
You got it.

There were even a couple of dead gold miners and a cowboy under the benches we never could seem to get rid of....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">