• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued by previous domestic partner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

datod01

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

Can anyone provide help here? My girlfriend is being threatened to be sued by an ex-boyfriend (broken up 2 1/2 years ago). He now wants repayment for living expenses and other items the two of them purchased when they were living together. None of the items or bills that were paid at the time were considered loans. Now he has come back and is demanding a repayment of $45K for all the things purchased when they were together. Some of the items he has itemized were purchased by my girlfriend, but he's charging her for dinners that they both ate, hosehold items they both used, etc. My question is is my girlfriend legally responsible to repay this demand? They were living together at the time.

datod01 said:

Can anyone provide help here? My girlfriend is being threatened to be sued by an ex-boyfriend (broken up 2 1/2 years ago). He now wants repayment for living expenses and other items the two of them purchased when they were living together. None of the items or bills that were paid at the time were considered loans. Now he has come back and is demanding a repayment of $45K for all the things purchased when they were together. Some of the items he has itemized were purchased by my girlfriend, but he's charging her for dinners that they both ate, hosehold items they both used, etc. My question is is my girlfriend legally responsible to repay this demand? They were living together at the time.
The the ex-boyfriend to pound sand!!!

djohnson

Agree, he would get lauged out of court. She should tell him to put up or shut up, cause she isn't buying it. If they are joint on a loan or credit card, he might have something. The rest is crap.

LdiJ

datod01 said:

I echo the other responses. Unless she is a joint signer of a particular debt he has no basis at all for his claims.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">