• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do It Yourself Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BabyB4k

What is the name of your state? Washington
Is a Do It Yourself Divorce legal? Do both husband & wife have to sign
the divorce papers?

BL

BabyB4k said:
What is the name of your state? Washington
Is a Do It Yourself Divorce legal? Do both husband & wife have to sign
the divorce papers?
In NY I did my own uncontested Divorce . Ask the Clerk of the Court if they have a Packet .

If both of you do not contest to it's contents and the Party being sued does not disagree , they can simply sign the Form that states they do not contest it .

Well not that simple , you have to follow the Directions .. LOl

dallas702

Well, someone has to sign the papers.

Are you saying that you were not the petitioner?

If not, did you object to the petition?

Are you saying you have been "divorced" without your knowledge, or without your consent? Are you objecting to the divorce (not much you can do about that...no "grounds" are needed), or the terms of the div.?

If you were not the petitioner, surely you were notified of the filing. Or, maybe not?

BabyB4k

I was served the papers. Ex told me if I contested or asked for any spouse
maintenance,I would get nothing from the sale of our home. Unfortunately
I was dumb enough to listen to him. This was 2 yrs. ago. Is it too late now
to ask for spouse maintenance? I am disabled and could really use the financial help.

BL

BabyB4k said:
I was served the papers. Ex told me if I contested or asked for any spouse
maintenance,I would get nothing from the sale of our home. Unfortunately
I was dumb enough to listen to him. This was 2 yrs. ago. Is it too late now
to ask for spouse maintenance? I am disabled and could really use the financial help.
So you did sign papers ? even though you did not contest . Then it's a signed done deal .

dallas702

Geez, unless you could convince a judge you signed the papers "under duress", or that your ex somehow defrauded you, you'll probably have to live with the situation. Obviously, he lied to you. It's your word against his (unless he put it in writing) that he used the threat of the loss of your community property. But....there have been cases where divorce "agreements" have been reversed, though not common. It would be worth your time and $$ to sit with a good family law attorney for 1/2 hour. For $50 bucks or so, you can get an answer that applies in your state.

BTW: did the house belong to him before the marriage, or somehow wouldn't have been considered community property?

BabyB4k

Do IT Yourself Divorce

There is no papers with my signature on them.. Thanks for your advise. I now will spend the $50 bucks to talk to a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">