• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Clearance Appeal Help, Foreign Relatives

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

usagilily

What is the name of your state?
Virginia

Hi,
I just got notification that my clearance is being revoked for the following reason:

a. Your grandmother is a citizen and resident of the People's Republic of China
b. Your two uncles and cousins are citiczens and residents of the People's Republic of China.
c. You traveled to the People's Republic of China 1991, 1995, 1998, and 2001.
d. You traveled to Taiwan (Republic of China) in 2002.
e. You traveled to Hong Kong in 2002.

I love the work i'm doing now but I would need a clearance to stay here. I thought people usually get rejected because they have immediate relatives in China, grandmother, uncles and cousins would not be a big deal. If there's any attorneys reading this post or individual with similar experience please let me know if this case is worth fighting for and the result of your situation.

Thank you so much!

csporluck

I'm not suprised at all. You didn't mention what level your clearance was. Did you disclose EVERYTHING when you filled out your SF86 and went through the interview process?

usagilily

csporluck said:
I'm not suprised at all. You didn't mention what level your clearance was. Did you disclose EVERYTHING when you filled out your SF86 and went through the interview process?
Yea, pretty much. But i wrote detailed letter explaining everything and focused on going to China to get medical procedures done and we are applying greencard for my grandma. I stated that my parents are divorced and i've like with my mom since so i rarely talk to my uncles and cousins on my father's side. I additionally submitted 3 reference letters from caucacian/america-born friends and supervisors and consulted a security clearance lawyer with my response. So I'm hopeful and tried my best. Waiting for the response to go before the hearing and appeals court if they still deny me. Did you also encounter similar situation? This is for a secret btw and i'm kind of surprise they would be this strict since i just turned 25 and have been living in the states since age 10.

csporluck

I have no foreign relatives, and my background investigation was rather thorough (actually talked to the delivery room personnel who delivered me, smaller community).

Travel to China is a Red Flag (pardon the pun). Even though it's claimed for medical treatment, etc... I won't even dispute that.. but honestly wouldn't an agent for a foreign government say the same thing?

Clearances are rather subjective. You can pay all that money for a "clearance laywer", and that's for a SECRET clearance, or you can accept the idea that you won't get a clearance.

usagilily

Secret Security Clearance Granted

Hi all,

An update, just wanted to let you know that my clearance was granted :D after submitting my statement of reasons with a security clearance lawyer's help and reading other cases from the DOHA website. Basically, I just had to explain what I did during my trips and let them know that none of my relatives in China either work directly for or is somehow involved with the government. I think my letter was detailed enough that they did not need me in court, but it took some time beause I had to be approved by everyone from a board. This is much better, because even if you get urs granted in a court, I think the DOHA board could still appeal and take your clearance away if they win the appeal. In this case, I think optimism and perseverance paid off(and the $500 lawyer fee). Good luck to everything and thanks for those who were supportive and helpful on this forum. :)

Yes, I did disclose everything during my interview. And it took me a total of 2.5 yrs to get the final clearance. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">