• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shared Driveway Washing Away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AngelaQ

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I bought a home two years ago and we share a driveway with our neighbors. She parks at the top and I park behind my house at the top and to the right. I need to put up a retaining wall to stop our yard from washing down the driveway. We got an estimate to have the driveway paved at the same time (it is currently so bad only SUVs can go up it, there are broken concrete slabs running the entire length of it) and her cost is much less because she just parks at the top. She sent her 8 year old daughter over to tell us it was the people we bought the house from that ruined the driveway and they were not paying anything, ever, to fix the driveway. Since then a huge portion of the driveway has washed away where she parks and there is exposed rock now. I MUST pave the drive but am irate that she'll get to use it at no cost.

Is there a way to either force her to pay for her half or better yet a way for me to pave it and then exclude her from using it all together because she won't participate in mutual upkeep?

John Se

describe the terms of "sharing"

easement? or split along the property line? whose property is the driveway on?

John Se

Easy, Tear out your side, build a new driveway

Easy, cut the concrete down the middle Tear out your side, build a new driveway completely on your side, with a 12" curb up against the property line so the neighbor cant use it. This assumes they are not entitled to use it via easement.

AngelaQ

Ah, if only it were possible I would have put a fence right down the middle. Sadly, the driveway is only wide enough for one car. We cannot make it wider because my house is right there. So I've either got to pave it and let her get away scott free or find a way to force her into payment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">