• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life estate- violation of agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

reppoc

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin When my mother died,
She left her home to my sister and myself, but also left a "life estate" for her then boyfriend. He has lived there ten years now, and I went to the house the other day, for the first time in about 6 years. I was shocked! The house was a pig sty! Dirt, filth, dog urine and feces throughout the house, the basement, and the attic! Paint peeling and discolored, carpets just black with grime. Windows filthy, woodwork filthy, and the smell in the house was just disgusting.
As part of the agreemnet, he is to take care of all "normal maintainance", and as well as daily cleaning, and daily maintainance. He is also to pay the taxes, and insurance. It was obvious, He has not cleaned a thing in years, and the paint on the walls I put on 13 years ago! The porch wood is now rotting, as he let it go unpainted for so long, and the ceiling in the living room is drooping where there was a water leak he never bothered to tell anyone about.
What can I do to now get him out of the house? He is obviously NOT keeping up his end of the agreement. Do I need to sue for breach of a contract? Thanks for any help re: this matter!

John Se

Why would they care?

I dont understand this life estate thing. Why would someone care anything about the house they live in if they dont own it? Why would they spend any money on it? Seem like the life estate thing is so mom can deed the house and take care of the estate transfer and still be entitled to live there. These people obviously dont think anything is wrong with how they live, why should you?

FarmerJ

Start with a camera and take alot of pictures of the conditions and damage to the home and then go to the links up top and locate a atty who can give you the best info on how to correct this problem .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">