• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlements Vs Bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmac18

What is the name of your state? PA

MY EX-HUSBAND AND I WERE MARRIED FOR 6 MONTHS. DURING THAT TIME I TRANSFERED A PRE-MARRIAGE CREDIT DEBT FROM HIS NAME INTO MINE FOR LOWER INTEREST, ALONG WITH OTHER DEBT ACQUIRED FROM HONEYMOON ETC. HE SIGNED A DIVORCE AGREEMENT IN PA BUT HAS SINCE FILED BANKRUPTCY IN THE STATE OF MA AND SAYS HE DOES NOT HAVE TO PAY OUR SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT. IS HE STILL OBLIGATED TO PAY AND IS THERE ANY WAY TO RETRIEVE THE MONEY

Last edited:

LdiJ

kmac18 said:
What is the name of your state? PA

MY EX-HUSBAND AND I WERE MARRIED FOR 6 MONTHS. DURING THAT TIME I TRANSFERED A PRE-MARRIAGE CREDIT DEBT FROM HIS NAME INTO MINE FOR LOWER INTEREST, ALONG WITH OTHER DEBT ACQUIRED FROM HONEYMOON ETC. HE SIGNED A DIVORCE AGREEMENT IN PA BUT HAS SINCE FILED BANKRUPTCY IN THE STATE OF MA AND SAYS HE DOES NOT HAVE TO PAY OUR SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT. IS HE STILL OBLIGATED TO PAY AND IS THERE ANY WAY TO RETRIEVE THE MONEY
As far as the court orders are concerned yes......as far as the creditors are concerned no. The creditors can and will hold you responsible, they are not parties to your divorce.

You however can go after him for a civil judgement. He might be able to include the judgement in his bankruptcy...he might not. You REALLY need to consult an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">