• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Requirements for a quit claim deed (Florida)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

capedintruder

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida

Can a quit claim deed transfer more than one property? If the second property being transfered is hand written in after the quit claim has been notarized (first property was typed in) is it still valid? Does a quit claim take precedence over a previously written will which left one of the properties to a relative (sole survivor)?

nextwife

YYes, more than one legal description may be on a quit claim.

No, one cannot add in propertites AFTER notarization.

If a person no longer owns a property when they die, they cannot leave it to anyone in their will. THe decedant can only leave what they owned at time of death.

Last edited:

capedintruder

Thanks for your quick reply! It's interesting that your tag line mentions adoption, since the person I'm trying to help just lost his adoptive father!

My friend lives in a condo here that was left to him by his father, but a quit claim deed has suddenly appeared giving the property to his father's girlfriend. Something very fishy going on, since the quit claim was to give her a property that was being left to her in the will anyway, and the condo was written in later. My friend is a bit mentally challenged & his father set him up a trust fund (being administered by trustee of a bank in their home state) to take care of him for the rest of his life. I have difficulty believing that he would just suddenly give the condo to the girlfriend a few months before he died. I figure that he gave her a quit claim for the property she was getting anyway to avoid probate &/or inheritance taxes & she might have said he should include the condo too & she would make sure it was then deeded back to my friend. But now she is saying she wants it appraised & he can BUY it from her. Interestingly, property values here have gone up over 100% in the last year, I don't think this is a co-incidence. She claims to have not known the condo was added to the quit claim, but if she was there to file it with the city & she IS a PHD & college professor, playing dumb seems out of her profile!

I'm trying to have the bank trustee sent us a copy of the quit claim so I can question the notary & find out exactly WHO filed it with the city. I see a real estate attorney in my friend's future!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">