• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The Aunt and the Referral

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wonderingperson

What is the name of your state? IL

My aunt is a realtor. In the past she has gotten mad at family members for not using her if they live in the state or not.
I tried to keep peace since we live in the same state to let her know that I was using a friend who has been in realty for 7 years, who has been a friend of mine who i keep in reguar contact since 92.

My aunt in pure spirit of her and this type of realty situation got mad. So she mentioned to me that there is a referral, so I called my friend who knows I wanted to smooth things out with my aunt said ok I will give her a referral.

A week later my leaves my friend a nasty voice mail. ( She had me listen to it, and honestly i am embarrassed.) So she called my aunt back and said in our area its 20% and not 25% so thats what your getting. And proceeded to tell her the only reason why she was getting it was cause she was doing it for me.

My aunt feels that what ever house we get that she is intitled to this referral. I would be fine if she was rational, nice to my friends, nice to my family..
But this has gone to far. So now that i have included you on this drama (sorry about that.. )

here is my question:
I do not want her getting any referral of any kind for any house we buy.
We are in escrow on a house now. Is there any action I can take to prevent the referral going though if they have not faxed thier stuff over or if the other realty company has not signed anything? What action can I take legally?

My aunt has informed us that the referal doesnt matter on the house just when you buy one. My husband and I are prepared (we really dont want to but will) to stop looking for a house for so many days to make this referral request go away.

Please help with any advice. Thank you SOOO Much.

jnazareno

Referal

did your Aunt send the Referral sheet to your Friend Realtor and did your friend sign it? If your friend did, probably not much you can do...
next time, just don't tell her your buying a home or selling..... :D

BradleyS

I do not want her getting any referral of any kind for any house we buy.
We are in escrow on a house now. Is there any action I can take to prevent the referral going though if they have not faxed thier stuff over or if the other realty company has not signed anything? What action can I take legally?
Tell your aunt to GET LOST!!!!

A referral agreement is with the two brokerages....not the agents. If there is not an agreement in writing............your aunt has no business getting involved or benefit from a referral.

She could face possible NAR Code of Ethics violations and State Law Violations if she doesn't leave you and your other agent alone.

Send your aunt and her supervising/managing broker a letter informing her to leave you alone and that you do not acknowledge any verbal agreements you may have with your aunt, and there will not be any referral paid to the brokerage upon the completion of your purchase.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">