• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contest trip Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J Cat

What is the name of your state? Quebec, Canada
Ill post this anyways, does anyone know of a link to a forum like this for Canada??
I recently won a vacation ski trip to Alberta all inclusive, lift tickets car hotel ECT, for my family of 4, the sponsor of the trip was a large global food company. The trip was won on a scratch ticket the closing date for the contest was March 1st. I scratched the winning ticket on March 4th.
We called the promotions company to see what the situation was, they said they would contact the sponsor, they replied saying they would honor the ticket, I filled out declaration, release & discharge forms for my family for the contest (that had expired.)
During our trip my son had a bad accident snowboarding severely damaging his left arm,
He spent almost 2 weeks in an Alberta hospital and under went 3 surgeries including stainless steel plates and large skin grafting, he will need more surgeries, the injuries and scaring will be life long.
My question is do I have a case against the food company, for letting us go on the trip when the closing date of the contest had past, can I claim compensation for my sons injuries? Are the release & discharge forms valid as the contest had expired?

J Cat

That's really absurd of you. You won a trip even though the ticket expired. You yourself contacted them to see if they would honor the ticket and they did out of good grace and now you want to sue them b/c your son had an accident???? :confused: No they wouldn't be responsible for your son's damages. :mad:

P.S "U.S law only"

J Cat

Thank you for you reply, I’m grateful for any feedback on this matter.
I have another question, in US law
If a person(s) commit a non-legal act, that directly or indirectly leads to injury are those person(s) responsible for that injury?

J Cat

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">