• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injury From Office Chair, lawsuit time limit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cahoca

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Incident was approx 2 2-1/2 years ago

As a salesperson working in my home office, I went to sit down on an office chair made my Chromecraft in 1975 that has a 4 roller base. The chair was given to me mother who received it as a gift from the Peoria Civic CenterIt rolled away from me and my back and the chair hit the wall at the same time in the lumbar area. I had to be carried out by ambulance because it apparently caused my lumbar muscles to spasm and I was unable to move. I eventually discovered by MRI that I had what appeared to be compressed vertabraes that were causing the pain. The doctor said that it should eventually be OK

I find myself unemployed currently and am restricted by a non-compete agreement to work in a field that I have been in for all my life. My back still bothers me in the same area today and it will not stand too much manual labor if necessary and it therefore limits my choices for employment. On top of that I am 54 years old.

I am now wondering if I should try and seek compensation for this injury since it is restricting and still painfull. My question is- Have I waited too long? Is there a time limitation? I also understand that this type of chair with the 4 rollers is no longer made because it did cause accidents. Apparently they have 5 rollers now for stability. Is the chair too old to pursue this and basically do I have a case?

Thank You
Chuck

You Are Guilty

cahoca said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

Incident was approx 2 2-1/2 years ago

As a salesperson working in my home office, I went to sit down on an office chair made my Chromecraft in 1975 that has a 4 roller base. The chair was given to me mother who received it as a gift from the Peoria Civic CenterIt rolled away from me and my back and the chair hit the wall at the same time in the lumbar area. I had to be carried out by ambulance because it apparently caused my lumbar muscles to spasm and I was unable to move. I eventually discovered by MRI that I had what appeared to be compressed vertabraes that were causing the pain. The doctor said that it should eventually be OK

I find myself unemployed currently and am restricted by a non-compete agreement to work in a field that I have been in for all my life. My back still bothers me in the same area today and it will not stand too much manual labor if necessary and it therefore limits my choices for employment. On top of that I am 54 years old.

I am now wondering if I should try and seek compensation for this injury since it is restricting and still painfull. My question is- Have I waited too long? Is there a time limitation? I also understand that this type of chair with the 4 rollers is no longer made because it did cause accidents. Apparently they have 5 rollers now for stability. Is the chair too old to pursue this and basically do I have a case?

Thank You
Chuck
I'm at a loss why you'd want to sue the chair manufacturer. In terms of entities responsible for your accident, the chair people are right down there at the bottom.

cahoca

Chair was not safe

Illinois

No, because I understand that it may have been the chair at fault. The chair only has 4 rollers on it. I was told that these were taken off the market because they did cause people to fall due to instability. Today's office chairs have 5 legs or rollers for stability

You Are Guilty

cahoca said:
Illinois

No, because I understand that it may have been the chair at fault. The chair only has 4 rollers on it. I was told that these were taken off the market because they did cause people to fall due to instability. Today's office chairs have 5 legs or rollers for stability
You're missing the point. The chair could have had 1 2/3 rollers, and if you hurt yourself because you screwed up while trying to sit, then you have no case against the manufacturer.

And even ignoring that for the moment, unless you are an ergonomics engineer, you can't state that 4-prong chairs are "inherently dangerous" and expect it to hold any weight with the court. So you'd lose on that basis as well.

Shay-Pari'e

I just found myself looking under my chair.

New chair, nice chair...and 4 rollers. OH! And I never fell over, unless you count the time I was racing in it. :D

racer72

Buddy, your logic is the same if I bought a 1975 model automobile then claimed it does not meet 2005 standards. You cannot hold a manufacturer responsible for a product if the product was legal when it was sold new. If later improvements made the chair safer, it is up to the consumer, not the government or the manufacturer to decide whether to use the product. I used a chair with 4 legs for years and never fell over. Well, there was the time a young blonde and I were doing the, umm, having fun, but thats a different story. :D

Happy Trails

--PARIDISE-- said:
I just found myself looking under my chair.

New chair, nice chair...and 4 rollers. OH! And I never fell over, unless you count the time I was racing in it. :D

After I read his thread I did the same thing. LOL

Mine has four rollers too, and I have never tipped over.

teflon_jones

Happy Trails said:

HA! I've got 5 rollers!!! :p

But I still think I've tipped it before...

panzertanker

teflon_jones said:
HA! I've got 5 rollers!!! :p

But I still think I've tipped it before...
I too have 5 legs with rollers, however, the OP states that his chair "rolled away from him" as he was trying to sit. I may be wrong, but I think you can receive a ticket for "failure to keep chair under control while operating". Anyone?
:D

panzertanker

You Are Guilty said:
That's because you need the new six roller chair I just invented!
YAG, I will file copyright infringement against you, I have invented a "down rigger" device that extends from each side of the seat to maintain stability.....

rmet4nzkx

Happy Trails said:

:( someone stole my rolers leaving me with 4 legs! No wonder I'm having trouble rolling across the floor :mad:

rmet4nzkx

panzertanker said:
I too have 5 legs with rollers, however, the OP states that his chair "rolled away from him" as he was trying to sit. I may be wrong, but I think you can receive a ticket for "failure to keep chair under control while operating". Anyone?
No, I think the chair was escaping domestic violence or sexual abuse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">