• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tecman101

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

In 2002 a Massachussets judge ordered me to pay my ex-wife alimony because she was then unemployed. I am paying her $1,048 a month since Jan 2002 for 5 years.The judge ordered me to pay this because i was making good income that time, now i lost atleast 35K a year due to company downsizing.

She bought a house in 2003 and living with a new boyfriend since October last year. She sold the house for a significant amount of money and they are moving to FL in the next 6 weeks with her new boyfriend.

My question is : Is there a law that protect me from getting screwed by this court order? Can i drop my alimony now and go back to court to review her financial situation ??

I would appreciate your opinion and direct me to where can i find legal rules.

Thanks
Tecman

rmet4nzkx

What does your order say, since there was a time limit on it, then the entire period of time may have been considered as a part of the settlement, in lieu of other funds or percentage of assets.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Can you drop your alimony? No
Can you return to court? Yes.

But If you think returning to court means an automatic stay on the alimony, it depends ENTIRELY on what your divorce decree say as to alimony.

So, if you want a valid opinion, type here exactly word for word what that decree says as to alimony.

nextwife

She sold the house for a significant amount of money and they are moving to FL in the next 6 weeks with her new boyfriend.

If there IS a cohabitation clause,you may very likely be able to have the court agree to have alimony stopped. If you have such a clause, I'd suggest WAITING until he is living there, and that you can prove this.

rmet4nzkx

I received your PM which I will post here. You have not answered any of the other questions, so we cannot answer your question.

alimony tecman101
Our only child is now 22 years old and usually live with her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">